Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books that made you feel odd when you were young

Options
  • 07-11-2005 3:17pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was thinking about this over the weekend...

Do you know the feeling when you were young and read about something for the first time and it gave you a strange feeling or something foreign which you didn't particularly like? i.e. a fear of the unknown

I remember getting this when reading about the Holy Crusades. I must have been somewhere between 6 to 10 years old. Not exactly sure. Another one was reading things like "Just William" where the lives of the characters were in a different country... or the language they used was different. e.g. English slang as opposed to Irish.

Does anyone remember these first feelings of reading certain types of books whilst young?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Definitely. I remember feeling a bit strange when reading several books when I was very young. Particularly with some of Roald Dahl's books, I suppose because some of his stories were a bit darker than what I'd read before and didn't necessarily have the happiest of endings. I'd feel a bit 'unsettled' when things got creepy and there was a sense of it not turning out all right in the end, but I sort of enjoyed that feeling - if that makes any sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I read a lot of the Enid Blyton books about boarding school. They always made me really want to go to Boarding school!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

One of the few things I remember for first infants at primary school was reading those books with pictures of things..e.g. cakes and feeling really hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Kolodny wrote:
    Definitely. I remember feeling a bit strange when reading several books when I was very young. Particularly with some of Roald Dahl's books, I suppose because some of his stories were a bit darker than what I'd read before and didn't necessarily have the happiest of endings. I'd feel a bit 'unsettled' when things got creepy and there was a sense of it not turning out all right in the end, but I sort of enjoyed that feeling - if that makes any sense!
    Ditto. The BFG (I was living in London at the time) made me uneasy about the city centre for ages.
    Directly after that I read Oliver, which had the same effect. After reading both of those I started to notice things like crime on the news and the appearance of poverty-striken areas a lot more and it frightened me slightly that these sort of things were going on around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭muesli_offire

'The Sandman' - E.T.A. Hoffmann

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I dont' think I ever read a book that made me feel "odd" as a kid... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Kama Sutra had a profound effect on me in my younger days....

Advertisement