Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suntube

Options
  • 07-11-2005 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience of sourcing and installing one of these "Suntubes". They are basically a small dome that goes on the roof, an aluminium tube reflects the sun light down into a diffuser fitted to the ceiling.

I was wondering where they could be bought and if anyone has any comments on their advantages/disadvantages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I know Park Developments in Dublin have used these on many houses they've built in the past 10+ years. Perhaps a call to them might yield some info?

We had one on ours but it was removed when we got the attic converted prior to moving in so I can't really comment on how good they are or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

i've been looking at these units for my house.

www.sun-2-u.com advertise in magazines regularly, but their site seems to be on the blink at the moment. I think it was they, that had a nice "wizard" for determining what size unit you needed (or how many of them) based on room size, existing windows, aspect, rafter spacing, type of room, distance from roof to ceiling (i.e. length of tube), etc.

i could be mixing them up with another manufacturer, but i think they were sold/made in ireland too.

there are units available with built in ventilation (suncatcher), and built in lights. the most common sizes i've seen are 10 inch, 14 inch and one bigger size that i can't remember so you can pick one that will fit nicely between your rafters and ceiling joists. the solatube looks like the "pipe" is fixed, unlike some of the other units i've seen which are flexible.

http://www.solatube.com/res_trs_install_instructions.php
    http://www.solatube.com/downloads/install10.pdf
    www.sunpipe.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I remeber looking at these before. THe flexi ones are useless. THHard tube is really the only way to go. THere is one make that has a higher reflective factor than the others so look out for that. When I say higher I think it is nearlly double.
    My gran has a short tube in her bathroom and the light is amazing even on dark days. They can also be put down chimneys if need be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

cheers for the info, MorningStar.

found this...
    SOLALIGHTING LTD.
    (U.K. & Eire)
    Sola House, 17 High Street
    Olney, Buckinghamshire MK46 4EB
    United Kingdom

Phone: +44 (0)845 4580101 / +44 (0)1234
    Fax: +44 (0)1234 241766
    E-mail: info@solalighting.com
    Web Site: www.solalighting.com

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Thanks for your help.

Great links Patrido but I have seen all the marketing bluff already. I was hoping someone out there had some real experience with these things. You said you were looking into them. Have you decided not to use them, if so, do you mind me asking why?

Morningstar. You say the "hard tube". I assumed they were all highly polished aluminium. Are there other types available. Looks like I'll be ordering these over the internet so I'll not get a chance to see them before purchase unless someone can come up with an Irish supplier. I don't want to end up with some cardboard crap.

My major concern with these is the interface with the roof. I will be using flat concrete tiles and most suppliers seem to use a generic/universal flashing which may not be 100% suitable for every roof finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

squire1 wrote:

Morningstar. You say the "hard tube". I assumed they were all highly polished aluminium. Are there other types available. Looks like I'll be ordering these over the internet so I'll not get a chance to see them before purchase unless someone can come up with an Irish supplier. I don't want to end up with some cardboard crap.

My major concern with these is the interface with the roof. I will be using flat concrete tiles and most suppliers seem to use a generic/universal flashing which may not be 100% suitable for every roof finish.

The good one is not made out of aluminium AFAIK it was some polymer. It was on Tomorrows World at one point. I really can't remeber the name but the important thing is on the spec sheets that mention the reflective value. I am pretty sure it is the most expensive one

The interface with flashing will do and if you need more it is easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

These guys (http://www.prismatics.net) do skytubes and they're based down in Cork. I haven't used them myself, but they might be worth an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

There are two more suppliers in Ireland, one in the Galway / Sligo area and the other in Baldoyle, I will look up the archives and PM you the details.

Thanks again for all posts.

Stiofan D: These look like the bees knees. I've sent an enquiry to them. Thanks for that.

rooferPete: Those contacts would be great if you get a chance. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

don't know if it's the brand your looking for but goodwins builders providers in lucan and mulhuddart sell these yokes, we do their POS software and i've seen em in the shop on my way upstairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Manuel

squire1,
    We're in the same position. Now that the house is up, our stairs and landing is very dark. Couldn't really appreciate what it would be like from the plans.
    We got the electrician to wire up for a pull-chord light half-way up the stairs, but it's still another, what, 10 ft to the ceiling. We reckon a sun-tube over the stairs, 2/3 steps from the top, should solve the problem ... but which one?

Chadwicks stock the Prismatics sky tube - so no need to go to Cork. They also stock one from Velux. Looking at the Velux one, it's hard to imagine that it's any good, as it has just a Velux window on the roof. The Prismatics "window" protrudes from the roof, is bulbous and appears to be specially designed to catch more light.

The only actual experience I have is second-hand and sketchy. My electrician told me today that he saw one fitted only last week and said it was very good. It was one that had a light in it, and he said the light was very good too - that you couldn't actually see the bulb, but it gave great light at night-time. I don't think the Prismatics one has a light kit in it. Actually the Velux one comes with a light kit. My electrician didn't know which product it was that he saw unfortunately. I'll get back to him and get him to ask the guy ...

Here's the Velux one:
    http://www.velux.ie/Inspiration/HOT_TOPICS/VELUX+Sun+Tunnel.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mickeyluv

SUN-2-U Units are distributed in Ireland by:

Tradecraft
    Unit 5
    Baldonnell Business Park
    Co. Dublin
    Tel: 01-4586233/4
    Fax: 01-4586235
    E-mail: sales@tradecraft.ie

You can phone for their stockists in Ireland if this helps!

M.

Just an update for anyone who is interested. I palced an order with Prismatics in Cork for their skytube. It uses the Silverlux tube rather than the adonised aluminium one which is meant to give a better quality and quantity of light.

I priced their products from the main builder providers and going direct saved about 20% and they deliver nationwide within a few days. Hopefully.:o

Tel 021 4773157. Spoke to Oisín Humphreys.

Manuel. I've asked around and been told to stear clear of the Velux. The prismatic one can be bought with the integrated light but this will reduce somewhat the quality of light during the day as the bulb actually blocks the light.

Thanks again to all for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Manuel

Squire1,
    I saw one other product since called "Sky Tunnel", based in Sligo.
    Brooks are an agent for them.
    I'm with you though, Prismatics looks like the best one.

Are you getting Prismatics recommended installer or your own builder to install it? The Prismatics all-in quote seemed reasonable enough to me.

Are you getting the solid tube? 240mm or 400mm? Length?
    Extreeemely interested to hear how you get on. Good luck!
    /M.

Manuel, as far as I know you should stay away from any of the flexi tube types as they transmit very little light in comparason to the solid tubes. Aparently the adonised aluminium ones are good but the Silverlux ones are the best.

I'm still building at the moment so a very friendly roofer is going to fit the roof dome for me and I'll do the rest myself. Seems very simple.

I didn't even ask for a price for installation. Are they expensive BTW?

I'll be putting in 2No 240mm tubes 3M apart to light a 7Mx1.2M corridor in a bungalow but it will be a while yet before they are fully installed.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thejuggler

O'Flynn Construction have installed the Sky Tubes in several of their estates in Cork to provide light to en suite bathrooms. We have one in ours and it gives a very decent amount of daylight - would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Heiton Buckleys also sell two types of them, cant remember the brands though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have one installed in a house in Wexford. I was there when the guy installed it and I think he mentioned they were based in Arklow or Wicklow.

It was fitted in about 2hrs and gives great light into the bathroom.

Advertisement