Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gozu

Options
  • 06-11-2005 4:02am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just want peoples reviews of this..

It was the freakiest and most ****ed up film I have seen. I give it,

:v::v::v::v::v:

Nothing made sense and it didn't even pretend to try to.Some very disgusting bits,the story was eh interesting to say the least with nothing whatsoever explained.
    Japanese weird films are great.Watch it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Film reviews is for reviews, post one or don't post. If you want to ask people's opinions of the film, films is the board for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh oops,clicked wrong forum i guess.Move it there so.
    I thought my review was quite good ^^
    what a freaky ass film.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Anywho, brilliant film. Made perfect sense to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It has a vague theme of male sexual anxiety and is a skit of the yakuzas a bit.That is all that I can figure bout it.

Some reviews;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2004/06/22/gozu_2004_review.shtml ,
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gozu/

"Gozu," which starts off making almost no sense and becomes less and less logical the longer it plays, is for those who find "Mulholland Drive" too calm and straightforward, or "Jackass: The Movie" too tame and mature.

The film is a loosely related chain - more like a pileup car wreck - of oddball skits featuring perverse imagery and shocking gore. The movie is also a parody of Japanese yakuza films.

At least, it starts off that way. In the beginning, Minami (Hideki Sone) is sent out to put a hit on Ozaka, whom he calls "brother," and soon finds himself the unwitting victim of a manhunt. Then, it lost me.

Takashi Miike, the schlockmeister behind ultraviolent direct-to-video cult favorites "Audition" (2000) and "Dead or Alive" (2001), swims way over into the deep end this time, and only his most ardent followers are advised to follow along.

Miike attempts to outweird himself at every corner, cheerfully sacrificing any sliver of narrative coherence, common decency or attention-grabbing flow. The movie scrambles around like a sewer cockroach with its head cut off.

A movie as bizarre as "Gozu" should at least be oddly interesting, but Miike's movie so thoroughly frazzles the nerves to the very endings, the storyless mishmash becomes intolerably boring.

Without any discernable theme or detectable design or control, your eyes and brain tune out as you cower in your seat, waiting for the barrage to end. The choppy special effects and the student-film-looking stock and framing don't help things.

"Gozu" is a disappointing introduction for local audiences to Miike, who has never opened a film in Tucson. The advice here is to sit this one out and check out other work from the very busy artist. The Internet Movie Database reports that "Gozu" is one of five films Miike made in 2003, following a seven-film 2002. Quentin Tarantino is a big admirer.

Call Miike confusing, bizarre or nonsensical, but you can't call him lazy. The Web site says Miike has made only three films in 2004, but give him time - there are still a few weeks left in the year.

Maybe he'll make something better than "Gozu." It's hard to imagine he could do any worse.

This guy didn't get it at all but meh, It's oddity made it excellent for me.Trying to follow was great fun and the male sexual anxiety was really prevalent.Although some people call it a comedy...mm don't believe for a second that there will be any jokes or anything meant to be funny.....
    It just shocks you with weirdness.

Advertisement