Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woody Allen: Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 05-11-2005 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Must admit, I personally find the guy hilarious, clever and observant and think (most of) his films are excellent. Then some of my mates think he's a pontificating, whiney New Yoiker who plays the same character in every one of his movies.

What do YOU think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very yay indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭andy1249

The originator of the now stereotypical self deprecating jewish comedian , Very Nay indeed , easily the most irritating personality I know !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hes kinda the marmite of the film industry. Everyone i know either loves the guy or despises him. Aint no inbetween

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd say Nay. I've just never found him funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Most of his stuff prior to Annie Hall = Yay!

Most of his stuff post Annie Hall (and AH itself) = Nay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Used to be way yay.
    Annie Hall is a suberb film, Hannah and her Sisters pretty good too and lets not forget his "earlier, funnier" films.
    His work has been increasingly spotty since the mid/late 80s. I havent bothered to watch one of his films for years

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭curiosity

Yay for me.

Sleepers, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah and her sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Bullets over Broadway,all great films in my book.

His love of New York, funny take on male insecurities and his ability to get almost any actor to work in his films (esp female ones:) ) make him a personal favourite of mine.

I will concede that many of his films have a 'samey' feel to them. That's great if you like his work, annoying if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'll take a Nay please Bob.

...haven't seen too many of his films but what I have I can't say I've enjoyed too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

curiosity wrote:

Sleepers.

Dunno if its a typo but Sleepers is a different film.

The one you're thinking of is Sleeper. You had me really confused there for a second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm a semi demi Woody Allen fan.

Early stuff crudely made often, but funny. Films since he went "legit" increasingly mixed - Annie Hall, Hannah..., Zelig, Broadway Danny Rose, Crimes and Misdemeanors all exellent but a lot of clunkers like Manhatten Murder Mystery, Midsummer Nights Sex Comedy etc, very lightweight stuff. I hav'nt even seen anything from about the last 10 years which proberly says it all.

Some point to Charles Joffe ceasing to be his "line-producer" as the moment Allens flicks lost thier way. It would have helped if he did'nt knock out a movie every 12 months.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Nay indeed, very little to offer other than the same rather tired stuff over and over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭curiosity

Dunno if its a typo but Sleepers is a different film.

The one you're thinking of is Sleeper. You had me really confused there for a second.

Thanks, boo-boo there:o

Agreed on the volume point. He has made a film a year for ages. It seems to be something to keep himself occupied. Does he ever shoot outside NY?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mostly Nay

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

curiosity wrote:
    Thanks, boo-boo there:o

Agreed on the volume point. He has made a film a year for ages. It seems to be something to keep himself occupied. Does he ever shoot outside NY?
    He has with his latest film which was shot entirely in Britain.

I saw the trailer the other day, and really wasn't too impressed by the look of it. I really don't like Scarlett Johansson and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers though.

But I am a big Woody Allen fan... But I feel the last really great film he made was Crimes and Misdemeanors, which is an amazing peice of cinema. But there have been a few good ones since then... Bullets Over Broadway and Shadows and Fog were very good.

Melinda and Melinda was pretty good too... and a nice little idea... and I just love Chloë Sevigny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Very nay.

Anyone else love The Purple Rose of Cairo? Still my favourite Allen work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

That's a good one all right. I'd forgotten about it I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I think my favourite is Broadway Danny Rose. Did anybody else nearly cry at the end or was it just me? :D

I enjoyed The Curse of the Jade Scorpion actually, but that Meryl Streep one annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,375 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This thread popped up quite fortunatly for me, im looking for a Woody Allan film which has something to do with time travel, apparantly its some crazy movie, involving giant fruit running around the place. Might be called Banannas, not to be confused with the cuban dictatorship one! May in fact not be called that at all. My brothers been looking for it for years, does this sound familier to anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Thats 'Sleeper'

• Registered Users Posts: 31,375 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ah great, thanks very much, thats one christmas present sown up for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Very NAY NAY!!

Advertisement