Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you stop PUSHING?

Options
  • 25-11-2004 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Does anyone ever take the 17.13 train from Pearse Station to Dundalk? The train stops at Tara St and Connolly and then Skerries, Balbriggan, Drogheda and finally, Dundalk.

I've been taking this train for about two years now, and quite honestly I've never come across a more aggressive bunch of people as the passengers on the 17.13. When the train pulls into Pearse St station the platform is often so crowded that you can't walk the length of it. When the train stops and the doors open there occurs what can only be described as an almighty scrum where everybody shoves, pushes and barges their way in, in order to be able to grab a seat.

I've seen people fall, people shoved up against the side of the train and people in tears because of the sheer aggression. I've seen people take a swing at each other getting into a carriage. I've even seen a group of people who couldn't get on the train because they were all shoving so much that nobody could get through the carriage door.

Worst offenders are, surprisingly, middle-aged men who, it seems would be willing to trample over anyone, just for the sake of a seat. I've lost count of the number of times that I've been shouldered out of the way of a seat by a respectable-looking man wearing a suit. Even when a carriage door stops in front of you they always manage to barge their way on first by bashing you out of the way.

I see that IR are putting on an extra train at 17.10 to run from Connolly to Dundalk in order to relieve the overcrowding on this service. Well done them for addressing the problem.

So this is by way of a plea to any fellow-passengers - I don't care about whether I get a seat or not - really, I'm not bothered - but please, PLEASE stop pushing me. I'm a fellow-human being - not an object in your way to be trampled over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i used to get that train last year when i lived in Drogheda, or the 18.20 one...
    i got so sick of it i stayed in work until nearly 7 then went to connley and got the enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Worst offenders are, surprisingly, middle-aged men who, it seems would be willing to trample over anyone, just for the sake of a seat. I've lost count of the number of times that I've been shouldered out of the way of a seat by a respectable-looking man wearing a suit
    I have never taken that particular train but in general I find that middle aged women with shopping bags are the worst for queue jumping and pushing while queuing for or boardng trains and buses. They manage to do it quite subtley too probably because they're so used to it and have it down to a fine art. Feckin wagons.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm sure everyone blames some random group at the end of the day...

Anyone ever experienced the Serengeti-like savagry at Sydney Parade when the 3 or 52 pulls up at the bus stop? Its been a while since I have, but I suppose I should have been thankful for the exercise when I chose to walk to Belfield rather than submit to Lord of the Flies...

90% of the population of the developed world are ignorant savages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

one extra train at 5.10 isn't much, is it? The trains after half five are always just as bad. I used to work on the south side and get that train you mention from Pearse and it is horrendous.
    It's getting worse and worse now. I've been getting the train from Connolly now since May and lately there isn't even room to sit on the FLOOR it's that packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I used one of those trains last year at Pearse, but I'm not sure what time it was. Mad rush by everyoen elce for seat. Everything settles down, train less than half full. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement