Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Burns' Jazz

Options
  • 24-11-2004 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

noticed this slaggin of the well-known documentary here. it's probably old enough but I found it funny in places.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Hahahah that's hilarious!
    Narrator: In 1964, John Coltrane was at his peak, Eric Dolphy was in Europe, where he would eventually die, the Modern Jazz Quartet was making breakthrough recordings in the field of third stream music, Miles Davis was breaking new barriers with his second great quintet and Charlie Mingus was extending jazz composition to new levels of complexity, to name just a few. But we're going to talk about Louis singing "Hello Dolly" instead.
    Classic! Love the Marsalis stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Yeah that be some funny stuff alright, just got a DVD there today, "Jazz Casual" with John Coltrane, who refused to talk about his music ha ha. The explination was that all he had to say was in his music...class.

Hey Sachmo? You play trumpet??

Fusion

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Do ya give beginner lessons?

I'm a guitarist, playing years and studying jazz, just wanna get the technique right I guess, don't wanna bust a lip!

Fusion

Heh well I don't think I'd really be up to giving lessons at this stage, I haven't been playing as much as I used to recently... and besides, I'd probably just get you into bad habits, it's kinda hard to teach. There's plenty of good places to learn from though, I'm sure you can find a good teacher fairly easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement