Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping in airports

Options
  • 24-11-2004 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

With all the complaints about Dublin airport it's funny to see that it's well rated in one area - it's a good place to sleep!

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/dublin.htm

It gets 4.3 out of 5!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I've done it and I wouldn't give it 4.3 out of 5 that's for sure! The lights were not dimmed at all but the airport ( departures upstairs at least ) did totally die down to the extent where there was only me and 2 or 3 other people in the entire airport.....very nice and very cool, a football would have been cool :D And yes the floor was polished over and over again over the course of the night :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

slept in Athens airport.. it was like a carpet of dead bodies by about 4am.. hilarious.. people just threw themselves down anywhere there was space!! But is was fine and comfy, had my camping mat and sleeping bag.. snug as a bug in a rug I was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

slept in Darwin airport.....uncomfortable and cold :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

Slept in Manchester Airport....most uncomfortable place ever to sleep....there seemed to be no padding in the seats! Didn't help that I was suffering from tonsihlitus either.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Gatwick, Stansted, Naples. No seat space at night apart from the coffeeshops (you can't sleep there) which leaves you the floor - which is as comfortable as you'd expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I slept in JFK about 10 years ago. For half the night it was okay. Then a cleaning crew came through with power hoses. You made sure you got up then! With security they kept people moving for the rest of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I was asleep in Athens Airport a few years back & me & a mate got woken up at gunpoint.

Seems they were searching for some german guy that looked like my buddy - as soon as they heard our accent, they just moved on - no apology.....for some reason could'nt get back to sleep after that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Andip wrote:
    I was asleep in Athens Airport a few years back & me & a mate got woken up at gunpoint.

Seems they were searching for some german guy that looked like my buddy - as soon as they heard our accent, they just moved on - no apology.....for some reason could'nt get back to sleep after that !!
    yikes like waking up to a nightmare!! freaky :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Never been back to Greece since - wouldn't have been so bad if it was in France or Spain coz you could get close to the language, but in Greece there's no way we could translate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Seems at least 50 to 100 people sleep in STN every night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

embraer170 wrote:
    Fcukin Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

embraer170 wrote:
    The last time i slept there, there was at least that.. although its a big airport so there was lots of room :D

Also slept in rome (ciampino) where they Kick you out of the airport at 12 o clock :mad:
    You have to sleep outside in the grass, with the soldiers patroling around the small roundabout in their jeeps :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mixie wrote:
    Gatwick, Stansted, Naples. No seat space at night apart from the coffeeshops (you can't sleep there) which leaves you the floor - which is as comfortable as you'd expect.
    There were seats upstairs in Gatwick when I was there. Woken up at 3am to be told we were supposed be in Heathrow. And that was really annoying 'cos had I known we'd have stayed in the sister's gaff and caught the tube next morning.
    Also done Heathrow too many lights and cleaners ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

On a slightly unrelated note a friend of mine was extolling the virtues of the handicapped loos in the airport as a venue to say "goodbye" to your significant other when you (or they) are heading off.

No one comments on someone being helped into a disabled loo. There is loads of room for two people, bars to grab onto, and people certainly don't say anything if there are funny noises coming from inside........

biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Never slept in one myself. I do remember when I was working in Moscow there was a family living under one of the flights of stairs for a few months. If you've ever been to Sheremetyevo 2 you'd know its not the nicest of places. Dodgy to say the least.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Spent the night in gatwick a few months ago thanks to ryanair and their overbooking of flights.Have to say it was the most uncomfotable sleep ive ever had in my life.I did sleep tho,which was an advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

sliabh wrote:
    I slept in JFK about 10 years ago. For half the night it was okay. Then a cleaning crew came through with power hoses. You made sure you got up then! With security they kept people moving for the rest of the night.

Same here. Was very boring. Slept in more train stations than airports though. Seem to remember sleeping in Grenada airport once aswell. Also Male in the Maldives when the plane was delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Slept in Gatwick once. Wasn't too bad. I'd certainly sleep there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ding wrote:
    If you've ever been to Sheremetyevo 2 you'd know its not the nicest of places.
    Is that the one that smells of piss or the other one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Is that the one that smells of piss or the other one?

Sheremetyevo 1 is the piss smelling one! That's for domestic traveller's. A mate flew from it to St.Petersburg. The guy beside him on the flight had a goat! (I kid you not :) ) Sheremetyevo 2 International is the one that has the copper pipe roof and smells of a strange musty kind of smell. Also lots of geezers trying to rip off all the tourists with their scams. It was actually funny observing people there. Back in the early 90's there wasn't much else to do in Moscow besides the drink and women of course!

• Advertisement
Advertisement