Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint Removal???

Options
  • 23-11-2004 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I need to strip gloss paint off my bathroom door. I was advised in the shop to strip it down to the wood before applying a water-based gloss. I know nothing about DIY so can anyone tell me what's the best way to take the paint off? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

dolles98 wrote:
    I need to strip gloss paint off my bathroom door. I was advised in the shop to strip it down to the wood before applying a water-based gloss. I know nothing about DIY so can anyone tell me what's the best way to take the paint off? :confused:

Firstly, why do you need to strip it off? If you're just going to repaint, then use a oil based undercoat and gloss. Unless you have good reason to use the water based paint.

But if it's an old door with a lot of layers of paint, and that's why you're stripping there's a few ways:

Sanding - hire a sander a sand all the existing paint off. Only works on very flat surfaces. Non toxic though

Dipping - take the door off the hinges bring it down to a restorer, they dip it in a chemical bath. Takes almost all of the old paint off with no labour. Soaking the wood if the door in this solution isn't good for it.

Chemical stripping using Nitromors (or similar) Foul stuff to work with, caustic, generates what can only be described as a caustic goop of paint. Hard work too, reapply, scraping etc. You can easily damage the wood scraping.

To be honest I've done all methods professionally, and you really should have a good reason to strip! Two tips would be if you use either chemical method, make sure you nuetralise any residual agent before you start painting, and you'll have to sand the door very finely as well before painting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭davie_b

dolles98 wrote:

sand it down your self or machine it white spirts or turps comes in handy but if your reglossing it why not just sand and undercoat it yourself???

why water based its not very durable! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dolles98

I was told to use a water-based gloss as the gloss that's already on the door has gone yellow only after a about 12 months. Is the new paint really necessary or is there another way of keeping the colour from going off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

dolles98 wrote:
    I was told to use a water-based gloss as the gloss that's already on the door has gone yellow only after a about 12 months. Is the new paint really necessary or is there another way of keeping the colour from going off?

Just 12 months - I'd be looking for other factors like heavy smoking etc

If anything water based gloss aren't as strong as oil based. And non-drip gloss isn't as strong as sepearte undercoat and gloss - so that might be a better system. In either case prep the door well - wash with sugar soap, and key the surface with a light sanding

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Dont think a heat gun was mentioned if stripping paint from wood surfaces....it takes time also like other ways mentioned.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help - looks like it's going to be a bit of work!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Borzoi wrote:
    Just 12 months - I'd be looking for other factors like heavy smoking etc

If anything water based gloss aren't as strong as oil based. And non-drip gloss isn't as strong as sepearte undercoat and gloss - so that might be a better system. In either case prep the door well - wash with sugar soap, and key the surface with a light sanding

Sounds to me like the last painters just "glossed it up", meaning that they only put a new coat of gloss over an existing one. This looks fine for a few months till the old gloss underneath begins to show through again.

I have to say water based gloss is crap compared to oil systems. Only time I'd consider using it is on brand new work in situations where fumes are an issue (hospitals, schools etc.) but otherwise not.

BTW have you considered satin or eggshell? Gloss can show up a lot of imperfections in older timber that flatter finsihes can hide better...

bmcg wrote:

That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. Hopefully if I clean it down well before painting it this time it'll last longer. Last time I didn't pay much attention to preparing the surface. The gloss is going yellow because it's in a small bathroom with no window and a weak extractor fan. We'll see if the water-based gloss lasts any better than the oil-based. It says on the tin that it's non-yellowing so fingers crossed.

Advertisement