Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bungee Jumping?

Options
  • 23-11-2004 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have been itching to try bungee jumping but don’t want to jump from some crane at the local mall. I would love to travel somewhere breathtaking (that also has other things to do and see) and leap from a bridge or waterfall. Any suggestions? Also, how much does it generally cost to bungee jump? I am a student and money is a little tight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

ApplePie wrote:
    I am a student and money is a little tight.

your stuck with a crane here so....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BlueCheese

Jump Victoria Falls, it is amazing! I jumped there this summer and it was the most exhilarating free-fall of my life. I can’t remember exactly how much it costs but you will never regret it. And you only get that first jump once. There are also a lot of other things you can do while you’re there... Rafting, parachuting, etc. It is a thrill-seeker’s dream come true. Africa is not as cheap as some might hope and you’re going to have to spend quite a bit on gear but since you’re a student you can at least save some money on your trip, I’ve used Student Universe in the past and have been very happy with both the service and the price. Good luck, and remember, don’t look down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I did a 440ft jump at the Nevis Highwire in Queenstown, New Zealand from a cable car.... fantastic scenery and a tad unique of a jump. Its the only one like it in the world.

The rush is unbelievable. It was a 10 second freefall before the bungy cord kicked in...

check out: http://www.ajhackett.com/index.php?page=nevis

/ edit / This is a good quick review:
    http://www.extremedreams.co.uk/bungy/nevis/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I did a 440ft jump at the Nevis Highwire in Queenstown, New Zealand from a cable car.... fantastic scenery and a tad unique of a jump. Its the only one like it in the world.

The rush is unbelievable. It was a 10 second freefall before the bungy cord kicked in...

check out: http://www.ajhackett.com/index.php?page=nevis

Woo hoo...i did that too....scariest thing i ever done!! freaked out by the glass bottomed gondala and the bloody tiny cable car going over to it... :eek:

Wanted to do a really stylish swan dive and all...but when i got up to the little platform, my legs buckled and i just went "ugh" and fell off sideways....What a ****ing rush!!!! :D

edit: Tis the second highest fall in the world. There is one beside table mountain in Cape Town S. Africa that is higher...

RuggieBear wrote:
    Woo hoo...i did that too....scariest thing i ever done!! freaked out by the glass bottomed gondala and the bloody tiny cable car going over to it... :eek:

Wanted to do a really stylish swan dive and all...but when i got up to the little platform, my legs buckled and i just went "ugh" and fell off sideways....What a ****ing rush!!!! :D

edit: Tis the second highest fall in the world. There is one beside table mountain in Cape Town S. Africa that is higher...

Yeah, I was a little aprehensive to say the least. The edginess started to kick in while in the 'gynacology chair' getting strapped up... a shuffle over to the platform and away with you....

Needless to say it took a few seconds to compose oneself with a bit of 'mental coaching' from the bungy dude. I have to say I did a good superman impression... arms out.. woohoo

If you think about it too long and look down, you wont do it.. better to get to the edge and just jump...

And as they say 'the first metre is always the hardest'!!!
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Yeah, I was a little aprehensive to say the least. The edginess started to kick in while in the 'gynacology chair' getting strapped up... a shuffle over to the platform and away with you....

Needless to say it took a few seconds to compose oneself with a bit of 'mental coaching' from the bungy dude. I have to say I did a good superman impression... arms out.. woohoo

If you think about it too long and look down, you wont do it.. better to get to the edge and just jump...

And as they say 'the first metre is always the hardest'!!!
    :eek:

Yeah that chair unerved me as did the dead-man-walking shuffle to the platform....think it's almost as scary getting hauled back up....i just kept thinking please don't break, please don't break.... :D

Yeah dead man walking went through my mind... the green mile...

i didn't mind the coming back up bit.... it was quite a nice view and it took a minute or so to get back up so you had plenty of time to compose yourself...

The worst i thought was standing at the edge, staring into the abyss, and then just as you leapt off at the point of no return... no going back after that..

Im glad i did it though, it was some experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

"I am a student and money is a little tight."

heh , A good idea if you want to go away for a jump would be to go to Dubrovnik with Aer-Lingus (was only 69 euro one way I think)

Bungee jumps are only 20 quid , so you can do loads. :)

Also your jumping from a span bridge connecting two peninsula's with a harbour on one side and islands/sea out to the other side. really sweet place to jump.

Accommodation and food are dirt cheap also.great spot to goto.

Hope this helps

Fionn

Advertisement