Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Liffey Laugh

Options
  • 23-11-2004 1:37am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw this tonight and thought the premise was nice - to give a bit more exposure to Irish stand up comedy. In the wake of the panel, seems like a logical choice for a program on a monday night, especially after the lukewarm reception that Stew got.

Thing is, the choice of material was too short to let you get a real feel for what the comedians were like, and it wasn't even that funny. I could understand two-minute clips of each comedian if it was an outstanding skit or something, but some of the stuff (Kathleen Rourke or whatever her name was) just didn't do anything for me (wow, it's so funny the way she, as a middle aged fat lady, makes uninteresting observations about life as a middle aged fat lady. Woo. Next up, Hilarious Traffic Warden Half Hour, followed by Mirthful Men in Marketing...). Never mind the frankly crap bits with the two unfunny eejits at the dog races. Although it did end on a good note with some guy shagging someone's handbag on stage (what can I say, it was novel at least - especially when it wasn't a prop, he'd just grabbed it off of someone in the audience).

In short, good idea, shoddy implementation. Hopefully it'll get better.

What did everyone else think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flamin moe

agree that the idea was good.

last nights selection of comedians was very poor. i just dont think jason byrne is funny (a lot would disagree though), michael mee was a poor man's ryan tubridy, kathleen whatever was just so unfunny. it showed clips of the audiance, and not one single male member was laughing (quite telling, and ironically very funny that). last fella on was funny, cant remember his name though.

with the right line up on the show, it would make for a quality monday night on rte 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

All I can say is thank christ that they didn't get Ed Byrne to present it as they normally do with these type of shows, I like Sean Hughs, I remember his show from years ago - Seans Show?
    i also though that jason Byrne was not in the slightest bit funny (Is he a relation to Ed?)
    But it would make for good Monday night viewing if they got somebody with a sense of humour working in RTE 2 to realise what humour is and isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

the SEANY SHOW!

it's the seany show, la la la la la, the seany show, la la la la la, its the seany seany seany seany seany show, it's the seany seany - seany show!

I think :D

That guy who was talking about leprechauns was in dcu last year in freshers week, and (no joke :rolleyes:) used that exact same routine.

I think jason byrne is kinda funny, but does anyone else agree that he seems like he's on coke? Sweating like a beast and always rubbing his nose.

Anyways I have to say that the rest of the comedians were pretty average AT BEST...is this the best that Ireland has to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

wow, it's so funny the way she, as a middle aged fat lady, makes uninteresting observations about life as a middle aged fat lady. Woo. Next up, Hilarious Traffic Warden Half Hour, followed by Mirthful Men in Marketing...).

Was she middle aged whats ur definition of middle age? She was 30 at most and I would prob say she was maybe in her late 20's I could easily be insulting her there.

I think it was more about Jason Byrne then anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Fysh wrote:
    it's so funny the way she, as a middle aged fat lady, makes uninteresting observations about life as a middle aged fat lady

Middle aged ???

I think she might be hoping to live longer than her fifties.

I'm 31, where do I sign up for my bus pass???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Jason Byrne was surprisingly poor. I used to enjoy his comedy. Maybe I've outgrown it - or he just became ****e?

Incidentally, why did the impression of his child make the child sound like a very camp 14 year old? Just a thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

omg that was such a ****e show. I was sooo expecting to laugh but it barely rasied a titter between me and 2 friends.

Love is a drug got more bloody laughs.

the implementation was muck imo. not enough exposure for the comics with all the race track crap.

overall, big let down. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

it was pure tripe

dunno how long the show lasted, but there must have been a good 8. NO, 9 minutes of "comedy" in there

i was under the impression it would be one act.

wasnt even funny, laughed maybe 5 times

woulda had a better laugh ratio by just laughing at obscure sex terms with my roomies

mucj, will not watch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Have to agree with above.
    Attempt was good, techniques were brave, result was sh1te.
    There has to be better comedy that out there.
    What had the shots at Shelbourne park got to do with anything at all?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i just saw jason byrne in dcu last night and i thought he was brilliant, even thought he was riping the p1ss out of me for alot of the show :-)

mind you i dont find tommy tiernan funny at all

• Advertisement
Advertisement