Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Objections in Waterford

Options
  • 22-11-2004 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Recently, practically all development in Waterford has met with planning objections, especially from the Green party and from NIMBYs. The objections to the new Michael St. shopping centre were from people who live one block away from the city's main street. Does anybody else think that this sort of crack is ridiculous?

I think if you're going to live right in the city centre then you should expect constant development!

Limerick and Cork are blessed with large buildings in their city centres, whereas in Waterford we have a hodge podge of crappy house-like buildings in the centre. Are we ever going to be able to re-develop with all these objections? (bearing in mind that most of Waterford's good architecture is on the Mall or in the viking triangle.)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There was a write up in one of the local newspapers about one member of the
    green party who shall remain nameless and he's been giving the nickname of "The Serial Objector" as his name is on every single objection that has gone in
    against almost every development in waterford in the last few years..

The same is happening in Tramore as Tesco are moving in there. People who
    will live no where near the place where its being built are objecting. Most of
    the objections were thrown out straight away as they didnt have aleg to stand
    on..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The same green party spokesman is not even from Waterford iirc. He's from Galway. I'd say they booted him out fairly swiftly for his antics up there! The guy is lucky if he gets 200 votes in a general eletion.

The same eejit even suggested that the airport road shouldn't be enlarged, and trees should be grown at the sides of it instead. Does the word city mean anything anymore? Does he think that all of these precious towers and walls and georgian architecture were built with people like him running things??

We're lucky enough in that all of the cool stuff is out of the way, on the mall, or in the old viking triangle; the current comercial heart of the town is full of crappy buildings and are fair game, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Tox, are Tesco definitely moving in? Be good to see Super Valu sweat for a while. I mean, I worked there for donkey's years and it was good to be able to work locally, but they really have a monopoly on groceries in the town.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yup,

Tesco are definitely moving into Tramore and from what I hear Lidl or Aldi are
    moving in too..

Yeah, will be interesting to see Supervalu sweat alright, they are complete
    rip off merchants..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    The same is happening in Tramore as Tesco are moving in there. People who
    will live no where near the place where its being built are objecting. Most of
    the objections were thrown out straight away as they didnt have aleg to stand
    on..

Tox

Not surprisingly the objectors included the owners of the two existing supermarkets. Imagine the competition they will face with Tesco and Aldi (or is it Lidl, I can never rember) opening up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Not surprisingly the objectors included the owners of the two existing supermarkets. Imagine the competition they will face with Tesco and Aldi (or is it Lidl, I can never rember) opening up.

Scumbags!

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Yup,

Tesco are definitely moving into Tramore and from what I hear Lidl or Aldi are
    moving in too..

Yeah, will be interesting to see Supervalu sweat alright, they are complete
    rip off merchants..

Tox

Supervalu in general is a very expensive supermarket, I find that's mainly because they don't have a good range of own brand goods - I mean, in a good Tesco you can find pretty much anything in own brand form, and save quite a bit in the process (though there are plenty of "bad" Tescos up near where I am at the moment, with very poor stock levels). I find Superquinn horrendously expensive as well. Lidl or Aldi opening up as well in Tramore? Tee hee!

(Oh I'm evil!) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

D&#233 wrote: »
    Supervalu in general is a very expensive supermarket, I find that's mainly because they don't have a good range of own brand goods - I mean, in a good Tesco you can find pretty much anything in own brand form, and save quite a bit in the process (though there are plenty of "bad" Tescos up near where I am at the moment, with very poor stock levels). I find Superquinn horrendously expensive as well. Lidl or Aldi opening up as well in Tramore? Tee hee!

(Oh I'm evil!) :p

just on the news today , tesco has their planning permission rejected ,due to an objection form supervalue....

jhegarty wrote:
    just on the news today , tesco has their planning permission rejected ,due to an objection form supervalue....

Just read that on upthedeise. Typical!!! :mad:

Advertisement