Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David McWilliams

Options
  • 22-11-2004 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry don't know if this should be in the politics, after hours, ICDG or media.

I went for Television in the end since he is on the TV.

Read in the Indo that Louis Walsh thinks that he could be the next David Frost over in britian.

In his own words

we dont realise how good people are until they have left the country, "anyway he's way too good for this country"

I personally hate this statement, I mean is britian better then us or something louis?

Also Louis David McWilliams has plenty of work in this country, and he is highly regarded you fool:-

The Sunday Business Post (Always here good things about what he has to say)
    TV3 Adgenda (TV3 actually made a show and it was good, everyone that saw it praised him, and very many people annoyed when he left)
    Newstalk (where we not annoyed enough when the axed him for Grumpy Dunphy?)
    And he does an excellent job on RTE now on the big bite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

What the feck are you getting at ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Elmo wrote:
    And he does an excellent job on RTE now on the big bite.
    OT, but I have to say I don't really like what RTE have done with this show. IMO, TV3 had the better format, whereas RTE seem to be going for a light, fluffy afternoon show. Doesn't really suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

BolBill wrote:
    What the feck are you getting at ??????

Louis Walsh is part of the Axis of evil....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Louis Walsh is part of the Axis of evil....

Yeah pretty much.

Ah right, totally agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Colin Murphy did a good job of taking McWilliams/The big bite apart on the Blizzard of Odd yesterday.

As for Britain being better, when it comes to making watchable TV programmes it is very much better.

However I will put Louis Walsh stumbling on this as a fluke as the guy is a complete moron and a filthy stain on our nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

John R wrote:
    However I will put Louis Walsh stumbling on this as a fluke as the guy is a complete moron and a filthy stain on our nation.
    The stopped clock is right twice a day...

He was good on the TV 3 Agenda programme. I never cared for his morning radio show though. Haven't seen the afternoon RTE show. Unfortunately the Irish media scene is probably too small for McWilliams' fairly indepth approach to issues. Did Agenda get many viewers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Victor_Meldrew

Agenda was the only shining beacon in TV3's steaming pile of mass produced American filth. Their new 'The Political Party' show, with that Jessica Fletcher lookalike, Ursula Halligan is not a patch on Agenda. Even the name makes it sound like a reality show or something. RTÉ are lucky to have McWilliams, as in my opinion, he is the most talented broadcaster we have in this country at the moment. It's a shame he's currently in the graveyard of daytime television and only likely to be watched by students, mammys and the unemployed. He's far more deserving of a Saturday night show than Tubridy - in fact, if I was DG at RTÉ, I'd give him The Late Late Show. He has the ability and charisma to carry it off far better than that awkward buffoon, Pat Kenny. Anybody who saw his 'interview' with Charlie 'no bra' Dimmock on Friday night would surely agree that he's not fit for RTÉ's flagship show.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Agenda was the only shining beacon in TV3's steaming pile of mass produced American filth. Their new 'The Political Party' show, with that Jessica Fletcher lookalike, Ursula Halligan is not a patch on Agenda. Even the name makes it sound like a reality show or something. RTÉ are lucky to have McWilliams, as in my opinion, he is the most talented broadcaster we have in this country at the moment. It's a shame he's currently in the graveyard of daytime television and only likely to be watched by students, mammys and the unemployed. He's far more deserving of a Saturday night show than Tubridy - in fact, if I was DG at RTÉ, I'd give him The Late Late Show. He has the ability and charisma to carry it off far better than that awkward buffoon, Pat Kenny. Anybody who saw his 'interview' with Charlie 'no bra' Dimmock on Friday night would surely agree that he's not fit for RTÉ's flagship show.

While he (along with the rest of us) could carry The Late Late Show better than Kenny, I'm not sure if this would suit him too well. Sure, he can be carismatic, but I'm not sure if he could pull off the standard chat show routine. Then again, the late late built itself on its challenging debates and so on, something missing from the last few years of it.
    I think his talents would be better used on Prime Time, in a Paxman-esque role. In his current show he doesn't seem to have the same bite as before (Ironically, I guess), but then again RTE have made no qualms about admitting it is not meant to be hard hitting. Give this guy a chance and he'll tear any Irish politician or businessman a new arse for free.

As for him going to England, I doubt it. Ireland has a lack of tv-journalists and broadcasters of McWilliams quality and I think RTE recognise that for once. I'm sure we'll see that in the coming year or two as he moves up the ladder... and who knows? Maybe he could get a chat show, but I'd like to see him on Prime Time or something similar. He's a businessman at heart, and he understands supply and demand better than others. He currently has many angles of income, and I'm sure his RTE salary alone makes him comfortably well off, if he wen't to England where there are more people with talents (almost) as good as his, he may not be so lucky!

flogen

Did Agenda get many viewers?

No because it on sunday @ 12noon

and repeated at 12midnight

how was it supposed to get viewers.
    I'd give him The Late Late Show

I don't think he would suit a chat show. Certainly Prime Time would be good for him, But i think Mark and Miriam are doing a good job on that.

QandA he could take over from Bowman when on hols rather than vincent ****in' browne.
    As for Britain being better, when it comes to making watchable TV programmes it is very much better.

I don't think this is true as far as Documentry and Current Affair we stand there with the best of them.

Unfortunately, Louis Walsh (with many other Irish People) seems to think that your only good if your make it in britian. Sure with that attidute no wonder noone gets exposer on Irish TV and Radio.

Suppose the carter twins are too good for this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I listened to his radio show mainly and saw the odd tv show. He is fairly good... I like himself and hook :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Yes - he is very good, very charismatic and intelligent - but I can't really see him ever interviewing "celebrities" - would see him more like Jeremy Paxman. Would be a shame if he deflected to the other side though.

I met him in the pub one day and he's a very sound bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Agenda was the only shining beacon in TV3's steaming pile of mass produced American filth. Their new 'The Political Party' show, with that Jessica Fletcher lookalike, Ursula Halligan is not a patch on Agenda. Even the name makes it sound like a reality show or something. RTÉ are lucky to have McWilliams, as in my opinion, he is the most talented broadcaster we have in this country at the moment. It's a shame he's currently in the graveyard of daytime television .

I agree. David McWillaims should have gone to Prime Time. TV3 should have let Agenda alone. The political party is OK but it is missable.

The Big Bite is not great. Day Time TV is awful. Dr. Phil? Oprah? Bring back Open House!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Mcwilliams is an economist and is a very good one so i think RTE should use his know how that way

Mcwilliams is an economist and is a very good one so i think RTE should use his know how that way

Yeah some of the topics that are on the show he should say no too. But of what i have see he has some good topics.

They should repeat the show at night time on RTE 2 after the news.

Actually he would be better suited to a Newsnight programme after the news on RTE 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Why did RTE give him a programme at 2pm?! It's going to be quite hard for him to get a lot of viewers when his lead-in is "Neighbours", isn't it?

Why did RTE give him a programme at 2pm?! It's going to be quite hard for him to get a lot of viewers when his lead-in is "Neighbours", isn't it?

His lead in is Fair City.

I would have up it on after the News @ 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Elmo wrote:
    I would have up it on after the News @ 1.

I'd have it on against TV3 "News" at 5:30

I'd have it on against TV3 "News" at 5:30

TV3 would be so pissed off if they did that. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement