Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosellas-advice needed.

Options
  • 21-11-2004 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm considering getting a new bird (or two) and on the shortlist is the Rosella (either Eastern or Western). However, I am having trouble getting much information about them with regard to their suitability as a pet (i.e. living in a cage).
    Some people say they are only suitable as an aviary bird, because they don't like to be handled etc, others say they make lovely pets. All say they are not the most peaceful of birds which is why, if I do get one, he/she will have a cage to itself in case it attacks my other two.

Can anyone tell me of their experience with these birds?
    I only know of one pet shop that sells them, and I wouldn't trust their advice one bit. The manager is the type to tell you anything to make a sale.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

They are a noisy bird normally and do seem to take more time to tame than other parrots generally.

If your getting your first parrot, I highly recommend a pair of love birds, so entertaining and sooo clever, easy to tame too.

I remember a place i think it was called "copsewood avaries" who sold them allready tame pretty reasonably.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

It won't be my first parrot, as I already have a cockatiel and a budgie. However I'm also considering lovebirds, namely, Fischer's or Masked lovebirds.
    They're also very pretty which is a bonus!

i actually found the reg peach faced to be the most entertaining, dunno why really :)

Not mad into the peachfaced tbh. I just prefer the colour of the Fischer's and Masked. The blue Masked mutation is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Rosellas do not make good pets unless you can find one that is hand reared.
    Even then they can revert back to being scatty unless they are handled every day.If you are buying any bird for a cage make sure its young ,Try and buy one from a private breeder, rather than a pet shop as they will know its age and so on...Think Copsewood closes for the winter months.

• Advertisement

Thats what iv heard about rosellas pretty much too,... I even had one guy, who was trying to sell me a parrot, advise me against one, (knew if he sold me one he would never hear the end of it lol ;) ).
    Apparently they are loud and aggressive as well, i guess they are aviary birds more than pets.

But yeah, as bishop says, age is the key, as young as possible and hand reared if at all possible.
    It makes all the difference, Ill never forget my first cockatiel, batty, hilarious little guy, loved nothing more than taking peanuts and trying to stuff them in your ear lol ;)

B

My cockatiel wasn't hand reared :(
    He was completely wild when I got him! He'd start flapping around if you went anywhere near him. Although only 12 weeks old at the time, he'd obviously never been handled. I took him to the vet and he made a complete show of me, escaped from the vet's hands and started flying around the room! (I told the vet he'd need to wear gloves.....) All this on Christmas Eve, LOL!

After weeks of patience, screeching, and countless nasty bites, I finally got him somewhat tame. He'll step up onto my hand without screaming the place down. He's also stopped biting, which is great as now I can handle him without having to wear two pairs of gloves!
    It wasn't that he had a nasty temperment, he was just terrified. He's actually a lovely bird, very peaceful. He doesn't go into moods, unlike my budgie!
    He'll also sit on my shoulder as I walk around the house. I don't think he'll ever be really, really tame though.
    But he's much better than what he was.

It's a pity rosellas don't have a good reputation as pets, as they're a nice size and so pretty. I'm considering a pair of zebra finches but I'm not sure cos I'm so used to parakeets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have Crimson Rosellas & whilst they are not that noisy they are avairy birds - I would say that finches are also an avairy bird I keep Bengalese, cut throats & Orange Bishops & I had zebras till recently they are lovely to watch but are so nervous not a great bird if you want to handle it.

For a pet bird parrot/parakeet I'd say Timenah African Greys or Amazons or even a hans macaw - but again to be a good pet bird they really need to be hand reared which costs a lot more. Love birds are VERY noisy! but like you Neev I love the blue masked soooooo pretty! Lorikeets are supposed to be nice but I have not kept those.

Hope this helps??

Faye-Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Lorikeets are not very suitable as pets , as they need a very special diet. They are not seed eaters, their diet is mainly fruit and nectar, and can they make a mess, cage and the surrounding area would need cleaning at least once a day..
    Conures make excelent pets, if you can find a young one, especially the red bellied or white eared or anyone with" pyrrhura" in their latin name. the other type of conure with "aratinga" in their latin name are very loud(ear muffs) but otherwise make amusing pets.

Thanks for the advice so far ppl!

I bought a pair of zebra finches yesterday. I did all my reading up on them beforehand, they are lovely but I feel a bit let down with them. I suppose it's just getting used to finches cos I'm so used to parakeets. They seem to have settled in well, the male is singing away. He seems to be showing off for the female, he has a quick preen, fluffs up his feathers and then starts singing and hopping around! If I do decide to breed them, it won't be til Spring.

I like the look of lorikeets (esp. the Rainbow ones) but I've read that they are extremely messy and not suitable as an indoor caged bird.
    I like the look of African Greys, macaws and Amazons but they would be too expensive for me. Also a bit too big.

• Advertisement
Advertisement