Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band Aid - harumphhh

Options
  • 21-11-2004 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Don't gt me wrong, I fully apreciate the work / effort put in by Geldof and Midge et al for the tireless work and voulenterrorsim (?) put in by these BASTions of "popular" culture, they have between them raised untold millions of pounds or dollars in the public eye for the starving of the world. Yet why is that over the last week, the somethingth aniverserary (20th) we see mainly pics of the "artists" doing good, no doubt boosting sales of ancillary goods records etc, yet it seems that Band Aid were the ones and only with song and popularity to take the cause of the hungry.

WHY ?

W (World) H (Hunger) y (Year) has been running since circa 1979 with very little "public" notice. Hary Chapin ( For those that don't know who he is I'll explain in a sec) donated, QUITELY something like 25 - 50% of his concert recipets - before costs - of ALL his shows and as far and as I am concerned wrote the ultimate song for hunger - The Shortest Story. Now for those that don't know the names here are a few of the titles that may bring a memory or tear (especially the butchering by irish boy bands)

Flowers are Red - Green leaves are green, there's no need to see the world etc.

A Child arrived the other day, came to the wor.ld in the usuals way....
    Cats in the cradle and the silver spoon etc (thanks Brian)

Here are the lyrics to the Shortest Story, tell me that they don't mean more than the band aid pop public restoritive for singers seeking guilt easing. I'm certain that Chapin, over a slow period of progress has amassed more benifit to the hungry than the quick and brilliantv flame (Justin Hawkins dowsed inb petrol included) of band aid / live aid.

The Shortest Story:

I am born today, the sun burns its promise in my eyes;
    Mama strikes me and I draw a breath and cry.
    Above me a cloud softly tumbles through the sky;
    I am glad to be alive.

It is my seventh day, I taste the hunger and I cry;
    my brother and sister cling to Mama's side.
    She squeezes her breast, but it has nothing to provide;
    someone weeps, I fall asleep.

It is twenty days today, Mama does not hold me anymore;
    I open my mouth but I am too weak to cry.
    Above me a bird slowly crawls across the sky;
    why is there nothing now to do but die?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Having just read Geldof's autobiography, I can see why he did it the way he did. He was the right man for the job at the time, a stubborn bastrd who wouldn't take no for an answer because for the first time in his life he had a cause of such moral that it could excuse almost anything he did. He lied, scammed, blackmailed and bullied the industry into doing almost everything for free. Even the companies that provided the raw materials for the pressing of the record gave it for free. When the catering company refused to donate their profits to the cause, Geldof called on the public to bring their own food and drink and in his words "boycott the selfish bastrds".

It was because the whole event was organised in the public eye that Geldof could do this. He made a point of asking for what people could give reasonably easily (but would be reluctant to do so) in front of the press, where their business could be ruined if they didn't go along. Interestingly, this was something he learnt from Mother Teresa who herself famously cornered many statesmen in the middle of press conferences.

All of this was done whilst he himself was going into debt that took him years to get out of and existed on something between two to five hours sleep a night for three months. Time magazine put it quite well: "it was as if God had knocked at the wrong door, found a scruffy Irishman and said 'what the hell, you'll do'".

Also, because it was a "quick and brilliant flame", there were next to no administration costs which hamper the permanent organisations. Everything could be bullieed or seduced out of the hands of those in the position to provide them. It was a maverick approach and some of the ingenious mechinations of the charity event have become mainstream with aid agencies nowadays (e.g. chartering ships and letting the other charities use them to ship their aid and equipment instead of paying freight on a far more expensive ton by ton basis).

It was a herculean task which proved that one man and an unchallengable moral stand could literally change the world. Very few of the people presented with knighthoods or the likes actually deserve them these days. Geldof was the exception.

Oh, and as much as I admire what Chapin has done, I'd be very surprised if he's raised anything near the $100m that the original Band Aid record and Live Aid concert did.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The bigger topic of Charity and Selfaggrandisment has been on my mind of late.

I occasionally get a comment about SSF and my ego. I tried my damnedest last year to keep my involvement with it under wraps but if its going to be a success then lots of people need to know about it and that involves telling them what you are doing.

God love us Irish, we'd begrudge Mother Teresa if we thought she was getting thanks for it.

DeV.

needless to say every penny, every book and every game goes to the charity. Ok, except that copy of Harry Potter and The Philsophers Stone that fell down the back of the couch, though probably it was a mercy NOT to inflict it on sick kids.

Dev, I think you know already that those of us on boards admire you for coming up with the idea of the SSF and moreso for actually getting it off the ground last year and giving your time to it again this year. If an individual gains the respect of his peers through such actions surely that's a good thing? What harm can it do anyone if someone get's acclaim for charitable works? None. What good can it do? Well, it can encourage others to follow in their footsteps which can hardly be a bad thing.

Geldof had a great attitude towards the many awards and acclamations he received for Live Aid. Every award he received from a government gave him the opportunity to argue his cause to them on their tab. They payed for the flights and accomodation to bring him over and in return they got their positive PR for associating themselves with him. This allowed him to finagle as much cash, equipment and aid out of these governments without having to spend a penny of the money donated by the public at large, ensuring he could keep his promise that every penny of the money raised went on aid as opposed to the "administration expenses" that faced (and still face) the established aid agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

I feel I have clarify my thoughs on this.

I'm not knockin Geldof or Charitable acts, even public ones, at all. I am meerly frustrated with the pseudo-altruistic pop stars who see "doing charity" as a way to appeal to a wider audiance of consumers, who would now (maybe) bu their album as well 'cause they (the - ahem - artists) are so caring to give their time etc. I see a lot of the charity work by "stars" (not all) as a cynical sales gimmick targeted at the wallets and hearts of the more gullible consumer.

A charity event should be just that, not an ego fest over who sings first or what line is the best etc. This was prompted by me watching the aniversary show on bbc the other night, and some of the comments made be the performers. One in particular (Boy George I think) on how the catering was minimal, must have been a real clime down for the stars sining about world hunger to have to suffer a canteen - laid on - with drink, picture of BG swiging on a bottle of whiskey berfore he started singing!

So as I say I'm not knocking charity (I was a voulenteer in one for 16 years!), just those who seem to use it as a self promotion stepping stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Does it really matter at the end of the day if the charity gets the money?

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Does it really matter at the end of the day if the charity gets the money?

I think it does, if it seen that stars are using charity for their own profit, people may be less inclined to donate believing the charity to be somewhat tainted or a front, look at the trouble Gorta had after the Bunny incident, it took them a while to get back on the public track.

If people are getting involved to promote something then that shiould be the focus, otherwise, you may, I say may, end up with an ever decreesing circle of donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Depends on the reason for commiting to work for a charity.

1) Looking for further your career out of it via the publicity.
    i.e - The "Well, I won't get money this time but poeple will love me afterwards" ethos.

2) Looks like Harry Chapin just gave up his Salary and didn't make a big whizz out of it. He knew he'd put in half his salary (or whatever the contibution was). That was all that was important to him.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

People who use charitable acts to self aggrandise or profit make my skin crawl. Yes there's an argument to say who cares, the charity benefits but its galling to see someone opening a kids care centre and gush on about helping the kids when you know its purely to sell the record they have coming out. Someone agent somewhere got them a "sweet gig". Its like politicians kissing babies!

Also I dont believe anyone does anything purely from charity. I know that partly I'm doing SSF (for example) because last year I felt great after doing it. It was a nice feeling and I had a big fat stupid grin on my face all day when I did a drop. Theres nothing wrong with that, but it means that when stuff like the SSF comes along and my face/name gets plastered over what really is a collective effort, I feel kinda weird about it, like I'm caught between using my position as admin on Boards to help SSF and opening myself up to the accusation of self-promotion.

Ah feck it. Its not like its the first time someones said nasty things about me because of my actions on boards!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Fairy nuff. Personally I think people don't donate as much anymore because nothing shocks them now. I think people see ads on tv and say "ah there's always someone moaning and looking for money"
    Now at this point I'd like to state that I give to many charities everytime I can, In the form of buying raffle tickets, stickers, scratchcards, pins and badges, and I donate 22 euro a month to ActionAid The people who ask me for money are not glamourous pop stars, they're just ordinary people doing their bit to help. Ieven gave money to two schoolboys claimin they were doing the trocaire fast even though I was 90% sure they were scamming. Personally I've never bought a charity record and I wouldn't unless I really liked the song.

Attached is a pic of my coat. The Angels are for Irish Wheelchair association, The hearts are for hostpital and Irish heart foundation,The hurling and Shamrock are for homelessness, the rose is for autism, the christmas tree is for sick babies, the silver one is for people in need, the bee isfor down syndrome I also have one for daffidol day it's just under the rose, I also had one for ISPCA but I lost it :(

• Advertisement

I see your point alright but I think it's misdirected at Band Aid. Out of all the acts that played at Live Aid, only U2 and Madonna really had anything to gain from it (and Bono has been fairly consistent in his support for the third world throughout his career). Most of the others were already firmly established and did it, possibly as Dev says, for the craic and feeling of self-worth as much as to help others. This I don't think they can be criticised for. Sometimes charitable actions have to be done publicly, remember, Live Aid was essentially a telethon. A spectacular one, granted but a telethon nonetheless.

The new Band Aid single, sure there's some proper eejits involved who are there purely for the marketing value. On the other hand, you have the likes of Thom Yorke, Chris Martin, Paul McCartney etc who have always been prepared to do what they can for others when an opportunity presents itself.

Sure there are some people using charitable events selfishly, but it's easy to spot them. They're not fooling anyone and their actions will have the exact opposite effect to what they're trying for. Those that are genuinely acting in an altruistic fashion will be discernable.

Personally, I think the most damaging thing to charities at the moment are the gaggles of annoying students they hire to pester people on the street. I've threatened numerous times to cancel my standing order to one charity in particular if I'm accosted by one more brat on Grafton Street looking for "a minute of my time".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

DeVore wrote:
    God love us Irish, we'd begrudge Mother Teresa if we thought she was getting thanks for it.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." Source.

No it isn't you albanian nutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

DeVore wrote:

I occasionally get a comment about SSF and my ego. I tried my damnedest last year to keep my involvement with it under wraps but if its going to be a success then lots of people need to know about it and that involves telling them what you are doing.

Typical of Dev ! So now you're comparing yourself to Mother Theresa ?
    Is there no limit to your ego ;)

Seriously though, Band aid brought the plight of Ethiopia to the west (and beyond) like no other medium possibly could have. It's a bad example to use really. There may have been a few people hoping to give their career a boost but i'm in the "as long as they got the money" camp.

The amount of disproportionate attention that the AIDS campaign has been given by celebrities is more of a bone of contention for me really.

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Bono said that he was disappointed to find out that the amount raised by live aid equalled only one day's worth of third world debt repayments. Conscience salving rubbish like Band Aid is just what its name implies, a sticking plaster being applied when major surgery is needed. St.Augustine said that charity is no substitute for justice withheld. Spot on.

Redleslie, that was exactly why it was called Band Aid. Because it was like using a Band-Aid to treat a bullet wound.

And remember, Conscience salving rubbish or not, Live-Aid prevented a lot of people from dying. Maybe not long-term, but it gave them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"Conscience salving rubbish like Band Aid is just what its name implies, a sticking plaster being applied when major surgery is needed. "

You have to start somewhere!! It just shows that more aid is required. Thats a bit extreme?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DeVore wrote:
    People who use charitable acts to self aggrandise or profit make my skin crawl.
    Reminds me of "hands across america", did it even beak even ?

I've no time for those charity singles that people make money off of at all. What particularly irks me are those "for every one sold we'll make a donation to charity" scams like the lottery tickets Ryanair are selling on board their flights at the moment. That's just blatant profiteering.

Everything on the Band Aid record was given for free, from the artists time right down to the vinyl delivered to the record pressing plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

For intelligently argued begrudgery that was so well written you couldn't begrudge it at all, it would be hard to beat a piece Eamon McCann wrote for either Magill or In Dublin (19 years ago, can't remember which) about Self Aid, the mini Live Aid rockathon that took place in Dublin in 1986 to 'raise money for the uemployed.'

It was really having a go at the idea that raising money at a rock gig could help with the problems of unemployment which seemed chronic at the time, and at the notion that pop music was getting a bit above itself if it was really portraying itself as a force that could rid the world of all the evils of famine, poverty and disease.

If I remember rightly the last line of the article went something like:
    'Let them eat cake' as somebody once said. Of which the modern equivalent is: 'Lend an ear to this sound.'

It's reproduced in my hard-back copy of EAmon Dunphy's biography of U2. Which is where some of you might have seen it.

Self Aid was a great gig. U2 Thin Lizzy (minus the late Phillo) Pogues, Rats, Van the Man, Moving Hearts, Elvis Costello plus a load of great local bands of the time. I slobbed out in front of the TV all day and watched it until the small hours.

Two weeks later I emigrated.

Reckon Eamo had a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Sysiphus wrote:
    I think it does, if it seen that stars are using charity for their own profit, people may be less inclined to donate believing the charity to be somewhat tainted or a front, look at the trouble Gorta had after the Bunny incident, it took them a while to get back on the public track.

If people are getting involved to promote something then that shiould be the focus, otherwise, you may, I say may, end up with an ever decreesing circle of donations.

Apologies for being off topic but what was the GORTA incident with a bunny?

Still remember that Elton John Candle in a wind re-release which was a double A side with some other song....one for carity, the other to promote his new album..
    :mad:

• Advertisement

Bit late in getting back to you! :-) sorry!

The GORTA - Bunny incident.

A long long time ago on a very basic channel (RTE 1) there once was a quiz show called "Quick Silver" from whence the expresion "Stop the Lights" came from, the presenter of the show was called Bunny Carr, btw, the pize went up in 5p incriments (nice to see rte didn't waste the licence fee - nothing changes!)

Mr. Carr was involved with GORTA at a time when a LOT of money seemed to be relocated from GORTA's account and a la Fr. Ted rested in his....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement