Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Skateboard Documentary

Options
  • 20-11-2004 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Can anybody help me...im a filmmaker just out of college who is making a documentary on skateboarding in Ireland, which may be shown on RTE or TG4 if my proposal is accepted (which means im going to need a solid proposal) Im trying to get as much information together on skateboarding in Ireland, everything from parks (or lack of), problems with insurance for parks,popular skate locations, problems with public skating, competitions store listings,skaters,associations with other cultures(music etc.,), oppinions.
    Ive already gathered information but i need info of skaters, or people who know.
    Would be much appreciated if anyone could help.I want to do something different to typical Irish boring documetaries, the documentary would help to give good exposure for Irish skateboarding, Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 malibu_stacey

hey! firstly just wanted to say that i've actually heard about this documentary that ur making, is your name paul?! a friend of mine told
    me about it! sounds like a great idea and i hope u get lots of info from skaters n other people who know stuff u want. it will definitely make for a great documentary for irish tv- something more exciting and appealing than the usual boring crap on tv. best of luck with it and i will reply with some information over the next few days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Right then the furthest back I know of is a skatepark in what was later to become the top hat in Dunlaoghaire might have been called the dog bowl after the londonpark which was named after the dogtown boys.RTE have footage of this it was used in the opening credits of rollin back the years.There was a few concrete parks in NI built in the late 70s and theres a tonne of info on the 80s scene including footage. I have some footage from simons skatepark and Mike Byrne has a load of stuff from then too and Jono has some stuff also I believe. Heres a timeline on all the big landmarks Dogbowl-plasticboards-kilkeel-eniskillen-portglenone-coleraine etc built-death-lowestoft bmx trip 85-rebirth-backyard ramps-rogers-clives-hillstreet sessions-mass street sessions-UCD-Central bank-streetcomps-finglas-lucan-coolmine-kilkeel comp-top hat comps-powell tour-squeez euro championships at the point.........feel free people to add to this and put it in order. If you can get access to RTE archives look for the squeeze comp and bits on sayurday mornin kids programmes we did a bit for scratch saturday I know.Do A google for history of skateboarding UK has a NI mention and look for Rosies slashdog site http://www.slashdog.8k.com/ .Theres a links page on my site www.geocities.com/irishskateparkforum with loads more irish sites but a lot of them are dead now. Visit ramp and rail trev will know a lot of the history.good luck and if you need any more info you can mail me at irishskateparkforum@yahoo.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Sorry theres no skatepark in kildare theres parks in..... santry, drumcondra , galway, waterford, kilkenny, and a few up north.
    The idea of a video on the history of Irish skating has come up beforeso there may allready be some footage collected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Gnarlyone I sent u a pm can you send me your contact details? I may be able to help u with your film (on a practical side, equipment etc)

Anyway I skated for a long time in Dublin with my mates, I can confirm the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire had a skatepark once a week for a while. they had comps there and uk visitors (alex moul I think?). I even got to see Tony Hawk skate there when the powell guys visited Ireland. I am pretty sure Clive filmed all this stuff?

In town the center of skating was central bank on Dame Street (esp the bannisters) and BOI Baggot Street. Of course Clives on Hill Street was a frequented spot which had ramps outside but later a mini ramp indoors. Some of us even got to skate the mini ramp in Clives back garden.

Also UCD was always a favourite and I have good memories of getting chased round etc.

Anyway thats a little self indulgent trip down memory lane for me, would love to see a film like this made. Only wish we had parks like all the other countries had. I content myself watching the Extreme Channel now cos I am old :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 gnarlyone

Can anyone confirm for me,what parks still exist in dublin & the rest of ireland...? Thanks for the info people, much appreciated. im submitting my proposal tomorrow, so if it all goes ahead, anyone who is interested in being part of it let me know

**** it,If its not accepted & funded im still going to make it! if i can afford it...!

Oh and who are well known Irish skaters past and present?

mate can u reply to my mail I would like to speak to you before you present it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GoofySkater

gnarlyone wrote:
    Oh and who are well known Irish skaters past and present?

Wayne Gallagher
    Mike Keane
    Bernie Rea-North
    Cohnuir Lynn-North
    Blayney Hamilton-North
    Jer Evans
    emmmm.....who else,
    Steve Kelly, Jay Reddan, Mark Brew(Snowy),
    James Black
    thats all i can think of right now, hope i didnt forget no one :confused:

• Advertisement

Clive did run monthly comps in the top hat and brought over moul hawk etc but way before that , before any of us were skatin seriously ...unless Des Keogh is on this board ( mid 70's ) there was apparently a skatepark there. Clive has stacks of photos from those comps he did in the 80s. Jono , Pete Rowan and David Rose were the dons back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Here is a site of a video put together about a year ago ... i can remember Top Hat and Squeze comp, Clives ..... there was a bit of a scene in Cork at the time aswell. Skaters rippin' it up now are Sam Perkin, Nicky O'Keeffe, Barry O'Sullivan, Sam Curtain and a few more.
    Had been a fe good shops in Cork back then ... and a good few now too !! Not really skating anymore myself but if you get in contact with Prime Time who used to run WoodWrk ... they'll help ya out !!

Did you guys see the tribune yesterday ? (Page 7) A new skate park has been confirmed to be built within the next 12 months in south dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

hey! firstly just wanted to say that i've actually heard about this documentary that ur making, is your name paul?! a friend of mine told
    me about it! sounds like a great idea and i hope u get lots of info from skaters n other people who know stuff u want. it will definitely make for a great documentary for irish tv- something more exciting and appealing than the usual boring crap on tv. best of luck with it and i will reply with some information over the next few days! :)
    Not Paul Gernon by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dolan

good idea for the doc! but you really do need help! you would prob be best to get yourself a partner who is a skater or was! Im sure you know from putting yourself through college your gonna need alot of proper research! Talk to clive in skate city, the guy has been around along time, seen alot of changes! Even try raid the rte vaults, they do have footage from alot of years! Make contact with the irish skate shops and companys skate city, G1 Boarder Co, Rukos, Emerald etc!!
    And do try get a skaters perspective on things its the only way you'll do it justice!

Well the good news is that the documentary is going to be made

Advertisement