Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantam Leap

Options
  • 19-11-2004 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I've decided that instead of going out tonight, I'm going to try and start a Quantam Leap appreciation thread. Ahem. Yes. So:

My favourite episodes, apart from the last one, were the Abigail trilogy, about some little girl everyone thought was evil or something. Also had The Evil Leaper in them.

Also, can anyone remember a more shocking moment in their little lives than when that caption came up at the end of the final episode? ~shudder~

So, favourite bits? Episodes? EH?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Last episode.

Such a brilliant bit of television. Doesn't get better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

The one with "Jimmy want shockers" in it. Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

An amazing show!

But no episodes really stand out to me... but i remember thinking the last episode was brillant when i saw it.

Must considering buying the first two series on DVD.

One episodes that seems to stick in my mind is (warning... extremely vague!):

Sam as a blind pianist... think it involved a woman getting murdered in a park nearby at the end.

Anyone help me out? Was this an episode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Dipped in & out of Quantum Leap back when it was on Sky One, never loved it enough to remember any episode specifics though.

scifi are just starting to repeat the entire series, and the feckin' ad they run for it is literally 5mins long, reall does my head in when I even see it fast-forwarding the ad breaks to watch The Pretender, stoopid scifi :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

havent seen the show in years and cant remember anything about them but i do notice that Sci-Fi are showing, i must start watching it again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

that mental halloween one anyone remember that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

the one that stuck with me was the episode when he was leaped in 'NAM'

I think it was the same squad as his brother....his brother was killed in nam and he thinks he's there to save him, turns out his brither dies anyway and the mission was to save someone else in the squad...

was many years ago i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Was last one were he jumped into lee harvey oswalds body?.....great show and last episode was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

The last one took place in a mining village and is mostly set in a tavern. Its a good 'un that so few people saw!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the last one was on sci-fi about 1-2 weeks ago. very good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

I loved quantam leap but I must be getting old as I really cant remember any of the episodes for some reason although i watched a good few.

I remember the last one know d-generate just jogged my memory of the mining one, and I have a recollection one where he was al's wife or something and then one where he was a baseball player and a pilot....

great show must try and watch a few on sci-fi if they are still showing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

GOD I LOVED that series, I'm going to have to get the last episode so I can see what happened. It was brilliant I watched every single one over in Italy many years the budding was actually quite good ~ this thead is bringing back so many memories I remember when he was oswald, in Vietnam wasn't he Al, he was captured a prisoner or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Oh boy, I loved this series too! Used to catch it on BBC2 when in secondary. Favourite episode has to be the one where Sam is struck by lightning just as he leaps, leading to he and Al swapping places. (Sam was being given electric shock therapy in an asylum or something.) Brilliant role reversal twist which allows Sam to return home, however briefly. Bit vague on the details. Ziggy says there's a 0.9% chance of me remembering before someone else posts! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

They are making a new series, it'll be his daugher leaping apparently.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Lump wrote:
    They are making a new series, it'll be his daugher leaping apparently.

John

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383588/

It could still get axed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Where does it say that?

john

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I've been following it for a while - development has been halted several times and NBC were talking about cancelling it. I don't have a link I'm afraid, but if you google you'll see a few website discussing the production stops.
    Sam: Are they going to be all right, Al?

Al: Yeah. Ziggy says that since Sammy Jo is carrying your genes and now that you’ve cleared Abagail, the curse is broken. Abagail gets married in two years to a wonderful guy and they move to Chicago and she’s happy, Sam. She’s really happy.

Sam: How do you know all this?

Al: Sammie Jo told me.

Sam: Sammie Jo?

Al: Sammie Jo is working with us on Project Quantum Leap, Sam.

Sam: What?

Al: Yes, and a matter of fact she has a theory on how to bring you back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

loved it too, what did happen in the last episode

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

chewy wrote:
    loved it too, what did happen in the last episode
    Probably one of the best finales ever broadcast, in my opinion:

Just in case anyone doesn't want to know - i've enclosed a fairly detailed description of the last episodes in spoiler tags.
    Sam leaps into a bar called "Al's," tended and owned by a man (surprise surprise) called Al - and it's only the first of a swarm of parallel people Sam encounters in this bar - where either the name or the person is identical to someone he's met and helped at some point in the series. Meanwhile, "our" Al has lost communication with Sam and is desperately trying to find him. Throughout the show, Sam learns more about this bartender Al and at least one other character who is a "leaper" like Sam (helpful, not some smarmy "evil female" love interest). Eventually, we realise that this Al is, if not HE, then a deity-type who is giving Sam a "break" from the action as well as the opportunity to learn how the leaping originated - and that, most of all, it is driven by Sam, not some otherworldly force. This Al asks Sam what he most wants to do, and that wish will catapult him either home or to the next leap. Teary, he says "I really want to go home, but first I have to make right what went wrong in Al's (his) life." This Al pats his shoulder (I think) and says "God Bless You, Sam" and Sam is then back in time in (his) Al's home, where Al's then-wife is weeping. Sam tells her that Al is ok, and will return home from the war. Happy ending to then - the screen will fade to black and we're informed that Al and (wife) went on to have (5?) children and are celebrating their 38th anniversary. Then, another screen informs us that Sam NEVER leaped home.

There it is...
    Sam made the ultimate sacrifice for Al
    . I must try and get a hold of that episode. It was called 'Mirror Image', as far as i can remember. Like i said, one of the best finales ever broadcast in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Why doesn't RTE show repeats of this quality show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Why doesn't RTE show repeats of this quality show?

Don't hold your breath for RTE and their "creative" approach to scheduling, especially with regards to sci-fi. Instead try and catch it daily on the Sci Fi Channel if you have access to it on digital or satellite. If not there's also the Season 1 DVD available here .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ohh god i loved this show, used to watch the then new episodes on sky one before it ended. I think i've only ever seen that halloween episode once, i tried googling it a while back but apparently there's some belief that the episode is cursed or whatever, no websites will even mention it by name!!! I loved the episode where al and sam switches places, it was funny seeing al's mind degrade and calling out gushy's name just as sam's mind deteriorated in the very first episode. That news of there being a sequal with his daughter sounds interesting tho. First i've heard of it.

The finale itself was brilliant tho i have to admit. Scott Bakula should quantum leap from enterprise (seriously seriously sh!te series) and do another series or two of quantum leap... that'd rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

Yea, used to watch it on BBC2 I think it was during the early 90s.

I can remember a lot of them alright, some of the ones that stand out:

The Trilogy
    Any with the Evil Leaper
    The Halloween episode - think there was a Stephen King\Cujo mention in this one
    The episode where he leaps into himself as a younger Sam, next episode he leaps into his brother - both were quite good
    Episode where Sam and Al switch places - Sam finds out he has a wife back home that he's forgotten all about !
    Lee Harvery Oswald episode.
    Episode where Sam encounters "mad" old actor who plays the part of an intergalactic traveller or something - actors daughter is trying to get him put into a home I think - turns out this actor may have inspired Sam's "ball of string" time theory.

Last but not least the final ever episode has to be one of the best "final episodes" of any series ever !

Overall there were lots of good episodes really, pitty they didnt make more, although I dont think I will be getting too enthusiastic about a sequel or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Abdiel wrote:
    Yea, used to watch it on BBC2 I think it was during the early 90s.

I can remember a lot of them alright, some of the ones that stand out:
    `

Agree with every single one of those you've listed - all my favourites as well.
    Prefer the finale best of all, then JFK and the clever Trilogy. Quite enjoyed the 'Driving Miss Daisy'-like episode as well - QL was always good on issues of racism.

Advertisement