Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting UHF & VHF aerials & amplifier

Options
  • 19-11-2004 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've got a VHF aerial and a UHF aerial that I want to put up in my attic to get RTE1,2,TV3,TG4. I also have an Anttron amplifier that I was told is necessary so I can get a good picture from the UHF aerial when it's in the attic.
    My question is regarding the connecting up of all this. Obviously the UHF & VHF aerials are connected to the UHF & VHF connectors in the amplifier box. But what kind of cable do I use to connect the amplifier box to the power supply box? Does the power supply box have to be up in the attic with the amplifier box or can it be down next to the tv?
    I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

But what kind of cable do I use to connect the amplifier box to the power supply box?
    You simply use the TV cable, the power supply sends a voltage up towards the amplifier for it to be powered. Try connecting the whole thing up first without the amplifier i.e. connect the VHF and UHF aerials to the combiner box and then run a downlead to the TV. If the VHF picture is grand but UHF is a little grainy try and postition the aerial as best you can first before you consider placing the amplifier. To place the amplifier, cut in through the lead between the UHF aerial and the combiner and use these two ends in the amplifier (correctly of course) which might involve inserting a DC bypass screw in the combiner. Once this is done, connect the power supply to the lead down by the TV to send the power supply up with, connect another lead from the power supply to the TV and then switch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

From what understand I dont think he has a 'combiner box' on its own seperate from the amplifier. It is the amplifier that has both VHF and UHF input connections (the VHF one is probably passive (unamplifed) combine to the output)

the best thing to do is just connect the UHF aerial up on its own and position it to get the best possible picture with that (for TV3, TG4 I presume) try and bring a portable TV up into the attic connected to the aerial when trying different positions- add the amplifier and VHF later[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Whoops! Antenna - yer right, misread that bit! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tcwoo

Thanks very much for the tips. I tried the UHF without the amplifier and it's a little snowy, but it's grand. When I tried the amplifier it didn't do much anyway, so the amp's gone back to the shop and I've the whole lot hooked up with a diplexer now.

Advertisement