Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Recommendations

Options
  • 19-11-2004 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

I'm looking for a few good Trad CD and a few good places to go and see some real sessions (no tourist crap in dublin please).
    I love the music but don't know any bands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

you could check out the thread "best traditional bands" for some ideas of artists. me personally I ould go for the likes of De Dannan, Gerry O Connor, and sharon shannon to begin with.

you could check out "traditional irish music pubs thread for places to go, I am not familiar with the different places in Dublin either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭ClonmelMan

Hi
    This might be of interest to you

http://www.tradcentre.com/fourmen

Check out the Audio section that has MP3's of the tunes that you can download. Some nice tunes there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

My personal recommendations for CD's would be
    Current Bands
    Danu
    Dervish
    Lunasa

Older stuff
    Bothy Band
    Planxty

Regarding venues in Dublin - the Cobblestone Pub in Smithfield (Nr the Jamesons Distillery) was good when I went a couple of years ago - I don't know if it's been spotted by the tourists yet - but I doubt it. I read that the area was been developed - so it might not be there now. (It was in September 04!)

Good Luck

www.irishlinks.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Lyra

Some pubs in Dublin that are definitely not on the tourist trail are, The Cobblestone in Smithfield Sq, music every night and day time Sat and Sun really nice on Sundays whent it's nice and quiet. Also, Hughes behind the Four Courts has music every night and not like tourist places in temple bar!

Loads of good bands as mentioned already, Danu, Dervish, Four Men and a Dog,Solas, Cian, Bothy Band, Altan, Patrick Street, and a band I heard recently at Ennis Trad fest - Beoga, there's so many I could go on and on and on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

Thanks for the replies, I'll be off to the local record stores now to try and pick some of these up.

Dabhal

• Advertisement
Advertisement