Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start learning Irish

Options
  • 18-11-2004 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi @ all,

As I am visiting Ireland more or less on a regular basis, I would like to learn some basics in Irish. Could you give me some pieces of advice (webpages, CDs etc.) ?

Thanks in advance.

Bye for now,
    Mirabae

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Get yourself Buntús Cainte 1, 2, 3 and the accompanying CD's, they start from a very basic level and work up gradually, old now but still an excellent resource.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Where would I get this buntus uch?

I'm also trying to learn Irish, but I am irish with about the same level (or possibly worse) than yer man up there. I'm aslo looking for a book to learn irish through with plenty of basic exercises and so on.

Baz_

I'd love to learn Irish again. You know yourself, you're learning in school, they introduce you to the tiseal guineadeach(sp?) and psst... gone to sleep. I've heard of a thing called Irish for Life. Does anyone know what this is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

You would get them in Easons..just ask for Irish language books! they are on the entrance floor! If not there try the other big bookshops around town..the book is very cheap like €4 and the tapes or cds a tenner..go mbeidh an t-adh leat leis an teanga a fhoglaim..D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭scoby

secondhand`bookshops might have plenty of old irish school books lying around.
    there's a shop in athmines that has about 50 irish books for around €3 each including leaving cert and easier books.

but think how crap the LC syllabus is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

The Turas Teanga book and CDs set by RTE is pretty good. There's also an evening class up at UCD that follows that book....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Merrion wrote:
    The Turas Teanga book and CDs set by RTE is pretty good. There's also an evening class up at UCD that follows that book....

This is for people who have some basic knowledge of Irish already, though...

Advertisement