Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity in World's Top 100 Universities

Options
  • 18-11-2004 12:17pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From the Irish Independent:
    TWO Irish universities have made it into the top 200 universities in the world, according to the most comprehensive rankings to date. [font=Verdana, Arial] The two are Trinity College Dublin, which was in 87th place, and Queen's University Belfast, which was 185th. The seven other universities on the island did not feature, even though they all aspire to be among the best in the world.

The World University Rankings used a number of measures including an unprecedented survey of 1,300 academics in 88 countries, spanning the academic disciplines.

A total of 20pc of the score was based on the university's research impact; 20pc was based on the staff to student ratio; 5pc on the ability to attract overseas students; and 5pc on attracting top academics.
    Hmm where's UCD then wink.gif

[/font]

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

rolf!

take that UCD..... Beaten by queens..... HA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 alangui

Hey guys, lets not brag about it.

So what if your univeristy is miles ahead of your best mates, or that it is better than the Queen's Univeristy.

Oh sorry, I see what you mean!

A
    Happiness is not happiness without a violin playing goat :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

ok...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

rolf!

take that UCD..... Beaten by queens..... HA!

what about the other 86 universities above tcd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

odds are those other 86 uni's have 100x more funding than tcd does, so its doing well to be in its place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

SkyLynx wrote:
    odds are those other 86 uni's have 100x more funding than tcd does, so its doing well to be in its place.

Trinity's worst score by far is its Faculty to Student ratio. Obviously due to funding issues. Another 30 points in that category & Trinity would be up to about 50th. Not bad, not bad ...

Trinity.jpg

California University Berkeley sucks, apart from its extremely large Peer Review Score. And its in second.

Oh and btw these are all taken from The Times Higher Education Supplement. http://www.thes.co.uk

You need a trial membership to get in, but that doesn't take long.

Hrm and all this reflects on us how?

and donal get on msn i wanna play solitare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    California University Berkeley sucks, apart from its extremely large Peer Review Score. And its in second.

Oh yeah, there are plenty of mediocry universities that are listed higher than Trinity. It's by no means a perfect ranking system. Oh & for those you trying to access the full list, just use www.bugmenot.com for a username & pass so you can get access.

• Advertisement

Heh, well I'm in college Ian, and am doing some work on the restructuring.

The ranking thing is a bit of a funny issue...a few weeks ago, we were 260th in the world with the Shanghai Index. Now we're 87th in the world and I get emails thanking me for all my hard work in making the college where it is today. Strange that.

It doesn't reflect on us really at all. But it ties into restructuring, so it really depends on whether restructuring will affect everyone in college or not.

Sorry, I'll stop.

Eh yeah, solitaire doesn't work in college ian. Do something about that would ya?

Ugh its due to MSN's crappy support of socks4 proxies, only one way i know of that might possibly work but it would require amsn to support solitare which afaik it doesn't......

You'd think they'd set it up off msn, so that those who don't have up-to-date msn can just log into an msn site to play it off there. Like webmessenger

well it should be possible, but the games are designed to encourage you to use msn vs windows messenger(as there are no adverts in it).

Really the are all powered by ms's zone stuff, some of that might work in college i spose

Advertisement