Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The swan

Options
  • 17-11-2004 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

What a cruel show, preying on the insecurities of those women. I wonder will they show an update of what happens after they return to their families

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

milagro wrote:
    What a cruel show, preying on the insecurities of those women. I wonder will they show an update of what happens after they return to their families

absolutely, one of the most psyhcologically damaging shows i've seen anyone participate in...

it was compulsive viewing so mission accomplished for the producers of the show who i'd say could'nt give a rats ar*e what happens the person after they leave the front door. maybe they will be fine but if something should go wrong down the road i dont think any corrective surgery will be paid for by the producers.

and the women having trouble with their husbands was approached discracefully...you could see they actually were looking to try and make the woman say something along the lines of "i dont need you anymore im beautiful" which is not the answer to resolving a marraige in trouble.

however these women signed up of their own free will and i'm sure read all the content of the contracts so i wish them all the best and i will be watching next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

I can just see the guys in the office now..

Right how about a show where we get some ugly chicks with such low self esteem that they're willing to be recorded going through surgery in the search for a better life, and then we put them in a peagant with more depressed women with the same problems and then tell all but one of them that even surgery can't make them beautiful.

Just went to the websitehere
    and Erica in the gallery was nicer in the before pictures. In most of the after pictures they looked like drag queens tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's such a horrible show that it's almost entertaining to watch because of that. Reality TV gone overboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭littlejay

what were they thinking before they went on this garbage?
    unless they were thinking it was going to be somthing completly different

i really hope they pull this craaap asap. tv is going down the drain and fast.

koneko wrote:
    It's such a horrible show that it's almost entertaining to watch because of that. Reality TV gone overboard.

i think reality tv went overboard a while ago and when that happens anything goes...like this!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 milagro

however these women signed up of their own free will and i'm sure read all the content of the contracts .

The "winner" of the 2nd show was clearly depressed before the op, not really the right frame of mind to be making such big changes.

milagro wrote:
    The "winner" of the 2nd show was clearly depressed before the op, not really the right frame of mind to be making such big changes.

very true but i dont think anyone on the show gave a sh*te, thats why they locked them off from the outside world.if their mothers or husbands were there seeing the stress they were under they would have protested but as they were all locked up they could be manipulated in whatever manner necessary until it was too late to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Don't forget Amanda Byram positively oozing sincerity of the "it must have been tough for you being a pig, but what would I know, I'm like todally hot" variety.

Incidentally, anyone know if she's still going out with that unfunny comedian with the stupid haircut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

I was flicking through the channels last night when I noticed it. The Swan. Hmmmm. I thought it was a film because it was on for 2 hours so I checked it out. When I first heard the word 'surgery' I merely figured they were going to be made over in the normal sense, as opposed to people having to get surgery. It never crossed my mind that they could actually make a show where people with low self esteem actually get plastic surgery in a GAME SHOW.

I wonder if someones surgery will go wrong, and while I don't particularly want to see that happen, it would totally be their own faults. The best bit is at the end when they compare the two people, and one gets kicked off the show because, despite the fact that they've gotten surgery, still aren't that good looking.

Have to agree with bravestarr082 though, it really is compulsive viewing. But only in the "OMG" sense. It's a freak show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

That Amanda Byram one comes across as a total bítch too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

christ! Most of them look like they used to be Men now. I can just them getting the Crocodile Dundee treatment some time in the future :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭littlejay

i hope some of the tv crew read these posts as they must live in coo koo land to think what they r doing is good tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I'm watching this on Living, which 2nite was episode 5. I can't really say that the 'contestants' are doing too badly out of it all-- they're getting thousands of dollars worth of plastic surgery for free, plus all the gym time, a diet plan and some questionable therapy (I mean how much can be worked through in 3 months of sessions squeezed in between surgery visits). Why feel sorry for them? I mean just look @ Extreme Makeover & The Swan...all these ppl apply, practically begging to get free plastic surgery, so I really can't blame the producers of these shows for recognising a demand, filling it and making a TV show out of the results. Living, in their ad for Extreme Makeover UK even tell us they received over 100,000 applications...people want it so they ain't getting no pity/sympathy from me "I'm so ugly, I just want someone to love me, my husband kissed another woman, but I didn't leave him because I was afraid nobody else would love me" indeed. It's so funny to see all these depressed hopeless women, who in their depression, managed to apply for the show :rolleyes:
    Most of them so far look like cheap whores when their makeovers are revealed, haven't seen a decent dress on any of them, to say nothing about their awful hair/makeup. It's compelling, but I don't think it's exploiting the women.
    Amanda Byram is a terrible host though-- I don't think anyone who sees how she carries on could possibly buy her 'sincere' reactions to the makeovers. "Well done you!"
    The funniest thing so far was when she asked one of the women "So tell me exactly how proud you're feeling right now" "Oh I'm very proud"...stellar question there Amanda! Really does my head in with her stance-- elbows out, hands together, hands out in big expressive gesture, hands back together, elbows out. She flaps her arms like she's trying to take off :rolleyes

Season 2 isn't doing too well in America this time, so we'll probably only have two Swans to crown, ho hum..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

This show would be better if they made all the Fuglies fight each other in a mud-filled cage, with the last one standing receiving plastic surgery. That way they could retain some dignity :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭handy

Did you see the look on the husband's face when he walked in and saw her?

She started crying! Rather than comfort her, he looked her up and down and had that look of "jaysus i can't wait to get you home!, quit your crying love and get your ass up those stairs".

Amanda Byram gets on my wick! Never mind the Swan, she should get rid of that mole!

Rather than comfort her, he looked her up and down and had that look of "jaysus i can't wait to get you home!, quit your crying love and get your ass up those stairs".

Yeah, the husbands really enforce the idea of "You were so ugly before, but THIS is what I wanted to marry" :p
    I actually thought it was funny when one woman's kid didn't recognise her hehe.

Meant to say-- in ep #3, one of the women declined a few of the surgical procedures, so they're definitely free to do whatever they want once they're in the program, so again, meh to feeling sorry for them!

Ep #4 actually produced the first batch of 2 women that were equally improved, all the other weeks there's the 'sorta' improved one, then the clear winner, made it more interesting to see 2 equally mediocre fuglies competing for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

They're all feckin ugly afterwards anyway

They're all feckin ugly afterwards anyway

But...Amanda says they're gorgeous, and I can't believe that she'd lie :eek:

TCamen wrote:
    But...Amanda says they're gorgeous, and I can't believe that she'd lie :eek:

For whats being wired into her account i'd say she'd tell them great big lies with whopping big bells on...

Patrick kielty must be a sick puppy now!!!

Well jaysus, I goes around tellin people they look great when they look like sh*te all the time tis right crack!

• Advertisement

You should try telling them they're ugly, it's lots of fun too ;)

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Well jaysus, I goes around tellin people they look great when they look like sh*te all the time tis right crack!

...........And you're not even getting paid a 6figure sum for it!!!

wonders never cease......... :D

TCamen wrote:
    You should try telling them they're ugly, it's lots of fun too ;)
    Yes I save that for people who everyone else tells they look great.
    them:"Oh what will I wear going to the pub tonight, oh does this eye shadow go with this top and balh blah"
    me:"Ah who the f*ck's gona be lookin at ya anyway?"
    This right crack seein the look on their face... then they tell themselves I'm messing. I'm a bad person I'm going to crawl into a hole in the ground now. Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 amydublin2

Did it anyone see it last night? Amanda explained that Cindy was on the programme to get rid of her "witchy nose"!!!! Very tactful!!!!

Amanda explained that Cindy was on the programme to get rid of her "witchy nose"!!!! Very tactful!!!!

Yeah made me laugh. Amanda isn't exactly tactful at the best of times. I think it's because she's a total knob.

I'm watching it on Living, and last Thursday's ep, the 25yo that they gave cheek implants, a brow AND mid-face lift to seriously looked like an ALIEN afterwards.

Of course her reaction: "Oh my GOD, I'm BEAUTIFUL"

Amanda's reaction: "Well done you! You're so BEAUTIFUL" :rolleyes:

Great show :D

Advertisement