Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to stay?

Options
  • 16-11-2004 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm heading down to Kilkenny City, for Saturday night.
    There are six of us headin down, I'm just unsure of where the best area to stay is, as we want to be closest to all the pubs, and clubs.
    If anybody knows of any good\decent B&B's in the centre, Fairplay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

The Baileys/ Bambricks is a popular place, both are owned by same guy and over pubs, in town

aldso a popular place with friends of mine is the one over xtravision
    Board only, u head tot he restaurant nearby for brekkie

if you've not arranged anything PM me and I can dig out numbers /names

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Sorry for posting on an old thread, but I dont see the point in creating a new one. Basically theres a few of us thinking about heading down to kilkenny this saturday, and Im looking for somewhere to stay, fairly cheapish.

see above post :)

erm the palce over travision is great value apparently (and clean from what i remember of a strange night there) no brekkie

there is a hostel (two actually) but not sure how much that appeals to u (right across from SIX pubs lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

egans john street. near langtons... o'faolains (free late bar). not bad price for its location... prob lookin at 40-50€ pps.... but give em a ring... price may have changed. Rafter dempseys too

rafter dempsesy is cool, forgot that one

I tend to avoid John St :0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Rafter Dempseys is crap. One night I was in there they charged someone I was with 5 cent for a dash of guinness in his pint of ale. Ridiculous.

erm I meant as a B&B

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

messiah whats wrong with john street, i dont go to city much, but the odd time ive been out its been grand. people say its rough but i havent seen anything?am i missing something??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I tend to avoid John St :0

What's wrong with John Street? Lived there for most of my life and it's been grand. People have this perception that it's a riot zone at the weekend...but tis far from it.

I didnt say it was rough or a riot......
    crap pubs witha kind of people i just dont like , simple

its improved a bit but the people u meet on top of john steet late at night, just happy to avoid

used drink in breathnachs a bit when it opened
    liked that
    becaue of the cocktails
    and strange experiences there :)

when i go out (not often now boo hoo) its for a few drinks, chat, social interaction, not to pollute/poisonmyself with alcohol, throw up, get in a row, have some 40 yr old married woman try persuade me she is really blond and 26 and fun, or meet all the guest stars of the kilkenny people court pages.

• Advertisement

you cheeky pup! there are something like 20 pubs on John street. I'll let you know when i am home again and bring you on a tour. And show you how much fun it is. You can get pissed without crossing the bridge. And still avoid the tourist traps of Langtons, the Kilford and Matt The Millers (the latter being only for Macra na Feirme members). and then get chips in either Delaneys or the Roma.

I'm a virtual recluse these days so you shouldn't pay me too much attention; glad youlisted the 3 pubs I'd avoid.

I have enjoyed pints in lawlors, egans etc, uts not that, its to do wit comfort, being comfortable. If I was heading out with some one and they said John St, no problenm, but if I was deciding it would be pubs on Parliament Street (or used be when I went out more)

My Ma used love Delaneys, Crubeens ona SUnday lol, I like the Roma cos straight out into a taxi and home to pig out on food you didn't really want anyways.

Things have changed anyways , I hear there is a fair bit of trouble in Hight St often now, Yesterday as me and my sis walked thro town nice blood stains outside the aib.

I always found the pubs down parliment street to be more packed. Cleeres, the Widows, etc were always jammers on a Sat night when i went home. Most upsetting when all you are after is a quiet pint and a chat. Actually Anna Conda is not a bad pub...but only when there is not a trad session on.

ah the quiet pint and a chat!

miss that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

mick_irl wrote:
    I always found the pubs down parliment street to be more packed. Cleeres, the Widows, etc were always jammers on a Sat night when i went home. Most upsetting when all you are after is a quiet pint and a chat. Actually Anna Conda is not a bad pub...but only when there is not a trad session on.
    the widows is now dead. i was there a few weeks ago and there was only 2 people in there, and this was a sat night.

I much prefered the widows as it was before they did it up and made an upstairs bit too. it used to have a better atmosphere in those days.

Advertisement