Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

request: How to improve freeview signal

Options
  • 16-11-2004 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I noticed some other threads concerning freeview here.

I'm living in the mid-Louth area and took a chance on buying a freeview digibox in the North.

I'm getting some signal but it's not great and by chance there was a guy installing an aerial in my estate yesterday. He took a look and said he could sort it out by installing a new digital aerial, amplifier, low loss cable etc, that would cost "a couple of hundred"?

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of DTT, but is he trying to rip me off? Is there any cheaper alternative I can try meself? At the same time I don't want to spend a load of money for nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help submitted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Sounds a bit expensive.

You getting any channels at all ?

What are the neighbours getting ?

What aerials do they use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

I added an indoor amplifier before the tv and it has improved the signal. All the BBCs are pretty good, it has improved the ITVs but they're still not great. For some reason I can't get a sniff of CH5 or abc1 which I've been told comes in really strong in Dundalk and is only a few miles north of me.

As I said I don't pretend to know a lot on the subject, but I'd like to think it could be sorted by making sure the aerial is lined up perfectly and maybe replace the co-ax with the shielded type used on sky installations?

Unfortunately I don't know of any of my neighbours using one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

sorry i am confused by the fact that you improved the signal.

I have FREEVIEW and it's always perfect. there is no poor signal. You either get digital or you don't. There's no in between (except some blocking maybe).

If you cannot get C5 it sounds strange. FIVE is like a benchmark.
    You have to get FIVE to get FREEVIEW.

There are some experts about who will surely update you on this thread. They
    were very helpful sorted me out when i started.

Sorry for the confusion PAL.

When I said by adding the amplifier I improved my signal I really meant it improved the chance of me getting a signal. Before I put in the amplifer I could only watch the shopping/music channels without the signal dropping, but when I added it in I was able to watch the Spain/England match on BBC1 without loosing signal. Also the signal strength from ITV channels is improved but still unwatchabe.

I can get CH5 on analog alright but for some reason it doesn't appear on digital?

As I said I hope it might be something simple like my cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Fringe reception of DTT has it's share of white knukle rides. Approx €200 for such an installiation is not terribly expensive for the job that needs to be done to try and squeeze every drop of signal possible in such a situation especially if it's done right. Something like a Triax Unix 100 would be needed (It would need to be group K at least, group A will not pull in all multiplexes especially from such a distance from the transmitter), a good low noise amp, an unbroken run of CT100 or higher cable to the DTT receiver. No such thing as a "digital" aerial - it doesn't care what the type of signal it receives is, wherever it is analogue or digital.

Another important thing is what receiver are you using? In your case, sensitivity of the receiver would be crucial. Setpal and Echostar boxes have a good reputation for fringe areas, some others are decent while others are poor.
    I added an indoor amplifier before the tv and it has improved the signal. All the BBCs are pretty good, it has improved the ITVs but they're still not great. For some reason I can't get a sniff of CH5 or abc1 which I've been told comes in really strong in Dundalk and is only a few miles north of me.
    sorry i am confused by the fact that you improved the signal.

I have FREEVIEW and it's always perfect. there is no poor signal. You either get digital or you don't. There's no in between (except some blocking maybe).
    Of course there's poor signal, the thing is with analogue signals there are gradual reductions in the picture going from perfect to a blizzard of snow - with digital there is a cliff effect going from near perfect to nothing in a very short space. In PCwiggum's case adding a set-back amplifier meant he was able to receive Mux 1 to watch the BBC Channels, and also Mux B albeit unwatchable, the likely case being that the set-back amplifier amplifies the signal AND noise that it receives, with the BBC broadcasts being 16QAM and being more resiliant to noise, wiggum was able to get a steady picture, while with Mux 2 (UTV) it's 64QAM transmission is less resiliant to noise therefore its likely his received signal was about the same as Mux 1. Mux A (which carries 5) may simply not have been strong enough to have even given a flicker of a signal.
    If you cannot get C5 it sounds strange. FIVE is like a benchmark.
    This is an urban myth often quoted on Digital Spy. Brougher Mountain and Limavady don't carry Five on analogue yet broadcast DTT. In Britain there are some transmitters that carry Five but no DTT (and I'm not talking about Croydon, Lichfield etc. even Divis doesn't carry Five analogue - that's from Black Mountain)

Overall it sounds like PC Wiggum is able to get Mux D (ch 34) without the setback amplifier, & Mux 1 (ch 29) with it, a sniff of Mux 2 (ch 33) with it, no Mux A (ch 23) with it, no report on Mux B (ch 26) which carries BBC Four/Cbeebies, and I suspect no Mux C (ch 48) which carries Sky News, UKTV history etc as it's likely to be out of band for the receiving aerial.

Replacing the cable from the aerial down to the receiver with CT100 may work, but you'll almost certainly need a properly installed masthead amplifier as well to reinforce reception (if you already don't have one). Getting the contractor in may cost, but it will be peace of mind even if they can't get everything done.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Northern Correspondant, that has a really helped to explain a lot.
    Another important thing is what receiver are you using? In your case, sensitivity of the receiver would be crucial. Setpal and Echostar boxes have a good reputation for fringe areas, some others are decent while others are poor.
    I'm using a Matsui DTR2 receiver - as I knew I was in a fringe area I just went for the cheapest model with 2 SCART sockets that I could find.
    no report on Mux B (ch 26) which carries BBC Four/Cbeebies, and I suspect no Mux C (ch 48) which carries Sky News, UKTV history etc as it's likely to be out of band for the receiving aerial.
    I'm getting a fairly good signal on BBC4 and the CBeebies, and correct - no MUX C.

Thanks again for the info, ~€200 is probably a small price to pay when I think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 freeview-louth

I have freeview and im in Co.Louth and i have done it all really.If you want any help gimme a call on MOD EDIT.

I have freeview and im in Co.Louth and i have done it all really.If you want any help gimme a call

Hi, thanks for the offer. What kind of work did you have to do to get yours up and running? Did you need to change your aerial, masthead amplifier etc?

I was intending to get mine sorted out by the professionals after Christmas, but if you can offer any advice I'd be grateful.

By the way, you shouldn't really post your phone number for everyone to see on these forums.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 freeview-louth

Pc wiggum check your private messages and give me a call and il give you advice on how to get freeview working 100%

Advertisement