Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

owning exotic animals

Options
  • 16-11-2004 10:58am

in particular monkeys...
    Does anyone know where I would find info on Irish regulations on owning monkeys?
    My gf has been pestering me for one and I need to show her that it is illegal to own one in Ireland!
    sound,
    N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's illegal yes as far as I know, not to mention cruel.

Monkeys aren't meant to live as pets. Why doesn't she just get a cat or a dog or something? Those poor monkeys :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Illegal.
    As pets anyway.

And cruel.

yes I am aware that it is both cruel and illegal
    but where is there specific info on the laws governing ownership?
    I checked the ISPCA site and they had nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Actually, bit of Googling revealed its not at all illegal. Infact theres no laws regarding it at all.

"You need a lisence to own a dog, but not a tiger...."
    Link

Actually, now I think about it I think thats its illegal to import animals, but not buy ones that were born here. Which means that any animal you get really, their parents were brought in illegally, or else were brought in prior to laws on importation coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

always see them in american films and such being owned by kids, and if they're tame enough to be ok in films im sure there's certain varieties that can live happily as poets

*and if michael jackson owned one . . .*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not Illegial at all - The only thing you have to check for is that the monkey is not endangered in the wild - you can own endangered animals but you need a cities licence & need to speak to your local dept of agriculture.

Point 1 monkey are vicous if you don wanna get bitten or scratched dont buy one!

Point 2 They are better kept outside in a large avairy type cage - I intend to keep Common marmosets I have built a 12foot by 6foot by 10foot high with a small section of this as a shed with a heater, light & nest boxes & branches.

Point 3 Monkies are social so you need at least 2!!!!

Point 4 They are expensive the marmosets I want cost stg£1000 a pair more for bigger family groups.

Point 5 Monkies should be about 14 months old before they are sold.

It is unfair to buy a single monkey & keep it in an indoor parrot cage - they are noisy, destructive, require lots of activities to stop they becoming stressed etc. & they stink! LOTS & LOTS of research is needed before you even consider a monkey as a pet!

Faye-Bond

Advertisement