Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Stuff - Please Read

Options
  • 25-03-1999 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Right lads, ye all know the score with Layer 3 music, i.e. MP3s.
    They are illegal unless deleted off your machine after 24 hours, which of course, all of us do.
    So if anyone has used up their 24 hours on a piece of music and wish to pass it on rather than delete it, this is a good place to do it.
    I am lookin for a 24hr loan of Korn-Blind at the mo, so if anyone has it give it to me til Friday.

Zero, Attorney at law.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Brit

Mmm, I don't think thats quite right. This "must delete after 24 hours" line is often banded about just to make people feel a)less guilty and b)less guilty.

International copyright law prohibits the unauthorised duplication, distribution or performance of (insert title here) yadda yadda yadda...

And mp3 clearly falls down on this -

--Brit--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the beastie boys have got around this i believe by using some new plugin which doesn't actually store the music on your computer.. thus avoiding any problem about copyright .. its some new streaming thing.. (no not realaudio smile.gif ) think its on their site.
    BTW this was all heard on No Disco so its probably wrong hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DeViant

I ran a streaming server form a Linux box I set up in the last company I was in.
    Its called MP3 Stream,
    No client side software needed, just WinAMP
    We were sick of going around each others machines on the network and slowing down machines, Soooo I set that up and people did like 'Shows' They put together upto an hour of music in a playlist, then I stuck all the playlists together, Made some Cheesy jingles (Just for the buzz) and Radio Cendant was born!!!
    Still going aswell, they migrated it to Win95 cos the Linux box got Axed when I left.
    Alas poor Abbadon I knew thee well!
    3.6 Gigs of mp3 on disk there!
    Must try and get a copy.....

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hehe got a dvd burner handy? wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Zero - it is only legal to possess an MP3 "backup" of music you have already bought, or music that is freely distributed. Anything else is illegal, regardless of how long it sits on your hard-drive. (anyways, if you delete it on most operating systems, the data is still there until the blocks get re-allocated, so you still "have" a copy of it. smile.gif )

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

ah yeah teeth, just gettin all the legal sh!te out of the way so the thread wont be close d down smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually my place has an Intranet streaming MP3 radio station. Although if listening to adverts on stuff you sell while working is your kind of thing sad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Gotcha wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭FurY

Gettin baq to what kali said bout Beastie boys. Heard the same thing, cept that new music thingie is called mp4 and is supposely better quality with less space taken and more friendly to the record companies if ya get me.
    FurY^cD

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I remember reading somewhere that MP4 is gonna be a stand alone thing aswell - no need for client software - just dbl-click to play. Interesting...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

Ronan I gave you Korn-Blink about a year ago!
    Total mucksavage!

Advertisement