Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] CIE seeks 8% rail and bus fares hike

Options
  • 14-11-2004 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thepost.ie/web/DocumentView/did-87743853-pageUrl--2FThe-Newspaper-2FSundays-Paper.asp
    CIE seeks 8% rail and bus fares hike
    14/11/04 00:00
    By Niamh Connolly

CIE is seeking an 8 per cent fare increase on rail and bus services from January 5 to cover the cost of spiralling oil prices, The Sunday Business Post has learned.

The fare hikes on Iarnród Eireann, Dart, Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann services are part of a growing list of price increases faced by consumers.

Already this year there have been rises in electricity, gas and health insurance prices and a 25 per cent increase in 'stealth taxes' such as water, refuse and environmental charges.

If CIE's request is granted by the Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen, it would amount to more than double the increase of 3.2 per cent granted last year. The price of a five-day return train ticket on the Dublin-Cork route would rise from €54.80 to €59.

A seven-day Dart ticket from Dublin to Greystones would rise from €22.70 to €24.50.

A spokesman for the Department of Transport confirmed that CIE's request had been received late last week and was being considered by Cullen.

The company would not comment on the size of the increase. A company spokesman said the exact rate would be negotiated with the department. Fuel price increases of more than 30 per cent have been blamed for the price hike application.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Out of interest, any idea how much of a % increase CIE workers are getting? Because I'm getting no pay increase next year and I'd love to know how much more money I'm paying to fund them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

feck that. cie is too overstaffed. let go the excess and there'll be no need for any increase, possibly for years to come!

but of course that will never happen cause its semi state and those fecking unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

ixoy wrote:
    Out of interest, any idea how much of a % increase CIE workers are getting? Because I'm getting no pay increase next year and I'd love to know how much more money I'm paying to fund them.
    It is to cover increased fuel costs. You do know that Irelands public transport subvention is very low#?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jd wrote:
    It is to cover increased fuel costs. You do know that Irelands public transport subvention is very low#?
    And at €60 for a return to Cork, it's not going to get any better. You could fly there for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

seamus wrote:
    And at €60 for a return to Cork, it's not going to get any better. You could fly there for that.

Only because Aer Arann recieve a much higher subvention per passenger than CIE. A very large chunk of public money is spent on an air service for thousands while the main public transport in the country has to survive on one of the lowest subventions in Europe despite Ireland having one of the worst operating conditions.

• Advertisement

Scruff wrote:
    feck that. cie is too overstaffed. let go the excess and there'll be no need for any increase, possibly for years to come!

but of course that will never happen cause its semi state and those fecking unions.

Where is all this excess staff?

Is there any possibility you can provide any proof for your stupid claim?

ixoy wrote:

Sounds like you are getting screwed by your employer.

AFAIK CIE pay deals are in line with the current standard pay agreements. If your employer is not paying them it is hardly the fault of other workers, I suggest you go to the source. If that fails you might benefit from talking to a union.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

8% increase to cover increases in Oil prices. What happens if and when Oil prices return to normal? Will they reduce their prices? No chance! I'm sick of companies increasing prices willy nilly because of higher oil prices but it never works the other way when prices reduce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

LFCFan wrote:
    8% increase to cover increases in Oil prices. What happens if and when Oil prices return to normal? Will they reduce their prices? No chance! I'm sick of companies increasing prices willy nilly because of higher oil prices but it never works the other way when prices reduce.

I can fully understand the 60 euro return fare if one is travelling at peak times but why no discounts for regular travelers on the route, or for those using the off peak trains (which are often half-empty) ? Crazy.

Advertisement