Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick To feature on Prime Time Documentary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Probably not, but its easy pickings to paint limerick in a bad light because it makes the
    rest of the country feel much safer where they are. A joke really.
    You dont see them doing stories left right and center about the drug gangs in dublin etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

This is really starting to p*ss me off. I'm not from Limerick but I've been here for the last 5 years and love it. I'm sick of defending it to everyone. :mad:

I tell everyone that I feel a lot safer in Limerick than I do in my home town of Cork. A lot less random violence.

On the news at the weekend, there was a story about armed gardai patrolling some part of Dublin. It was the 4th story on the news. You can be sure that if it was Limerick it would have been the 1st story!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I just ignore it nowadays. If people are happier thinking Limerick is stab city then let them off.

Any time people actually come here for rugby/stag/hen weekends they go home raving about the place and that says enough.

This show is being aired next Monday at 9.30pm RTE1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ta much rebel will keep an eye out for that one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭frantic_mel

Reports on major issues. The first programme in the new series examines the development of the city of Limerick, which is contrasted with the feuding amongst the inner-city gangs

Do this mean that there is going to be other programmes in the series - i know sounds like a dumn question, but does anyone know the inside of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Absolutely disgusted by what the have just done to this city.

For anyone that missed the programme

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1129/primetime/primetime.smil

requires real player. I'm going to watch it now will let you know what I think

I was horrified with the way Limerick was protrayed in last nights show.

If I hadn't been living here for 5 years, I would think they were all going around the streets with armed protection.

For a show that was called "A Tale of Two Cities", it certainly didn't see the side of the city that I see every day.

watched the webstream of it and after the five minutes or so of some positive things the stream ended. there was no new information in the program whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

There was nothing new at all in the programme but it did a great job in dragging up old news and making people panic on comming to limerick...

My opinion was that although it was an interesting documentary, It was very damaging to Limerick as a whole. Like it said its only to do with 100 people, yet Limerick has a population of over 52,000

It painted a very bad picture of Limerick, already businesses are losing money, which this documentary was not helpful in any way.
    Limerick was voted as having one of the best colleges in Ireland which is UL, even better than the ones in Dublin.

It didnt show much of Limerick in a good light. And I am extremely disappointed.

does anyone know if there were any official reviews on any of the papers or online etc.

dunno, leader should be out about now . as for the nationals havent a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Well seen as Limerick hasn't been in the news too recently, I think they decided to through that program in, just to remind everyone about its reputation. Its funny the amount of coverage brought about by that program, and suddenly everyone forgets the shootings that happened in dublin yesterday.....

it also should parts where it was dark and gloomy. and also showed mainly the streets at night. Boy do we look very shabby from the air and on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Metallicababe

old hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

As the guy said on the program, the only way a guard would be killed in limerick would be
    if the barracks caved in on top of him, which is a very real possibility after seeing the
    pictures of the places.
    My solution round up the 100+ put them into the gaelic grounds with lots of guns and
    lock the gates on the way out. Let them kill all they like until there is one left and ill
    shoot him !
    A bloody joke to put it mildly, you would almost think that we lived in beirut.

Only thing that suprised me was that they didnt burn out a few cars in the background
    for some added effect. Typical RTE biased bull****.
    On a lighter note did you see the president as a hick talking about limerick? priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

The reality is that we do (alas) have a fair number of total scumbags in this city. There's little point denying that as we need to address their continued bloody existence before moving onward and upward (hopefully).

On the other hand, reporting on the city is horrendously skewed. As my Mum, who comes from old Limerick stock, said about the Primetime special: "If I was a parent of a child planning on going to UL, I wouldn't let them go near the place after watching the documentary". There is a completely different (and boringly normal) side to Limerick that just doesn't get reported. It's a pleasant place where people live, shop, go out, go to rugby matches, meet for cofee, go to the cinema etc etc. That's my experience of living here, and my Mum's, and most people I know.

Why should a gang of thugs dictate the image of the city? It's time the normal, decent, friendly people of Limerick took their city back. Presenting positive images of the place is not 'denial', as some people would have you believe. It's simply a way of showing that there is a whole other side to life here that should be preserved, promoted, and (even) celebrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Sallybags

In fairness it isn't that pleasant a place when you've to walk zig-zag up the street to avoid prams and the 14-year-olds pushing them. There's no other place in Ireland where the prevalent hair colour is yellow-with-the-roots-showing.

• Advertisement

Reporting on crime in Limerick is not the problem as far as I can see it. The problem is that there was noting in this documentary that was not in the las one.

It was cheap television to be quite honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

very interesting articles mike, at least it is new developments.

Advertisement