Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max and Paddy: The road to nowhere

Options
  • 13-11-2004 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

What did everyone think, I thought it was hilarious myself. Looking forward to next week.

Max: "My balls have gone right up into my stomach" LOL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I enjoyed it, not quite as good as Phoenix Nights but early days yet. My expectations were probably a bit on the high side. Still plenty of memorable moments though, and I'm looking forward to the next ep..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Pretty good. Who played the Irish guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Brendan O'Carroll (or were my eyes deceiving me?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Yup it was him alright,,,hehe "i think i sprained me ankle".

I thought it was great...peter kay saying "how Thar you"...and the other fella in bed with the queer one "im popeye the sailor man,toot toot"...haha

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, was really looking forward to this and didn't disappoint!

The first half was funnier than the second but very funny nonetheless!

The teaching Max to dance scene straight outta 'Dirty Dancing' was hilarious!!

Not quite as funny as Phoenix Nights but as tenshot said, it is early days yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

yeah dirty dancing but more Footloose dancing too...class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Brendan O'Carroll (or were my eyes deceiving me?)

Yes, that twat. Couldn't believe it when I heard he was going to be in the series.

I missed it on Friday, anyone know if it'll be repeated over the next few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

eth0_ wrote:

Missed it too so glad to see this in Digiguide :)

COMEDY: Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere
    Channel: Channel 4 108
    Date: Wednesday 17th November 2004
    Time: 23:05 to 23:40 (starting in 3 days)
    Duration: 35 minutes.
    Six-part comedy drama. Peter Kay's spin-off from his award-winning Phoenix Nights series stars Max and Paddy who take to the open road in their prized motor home and wreak havoc across the country. Living in such a confined space proves more difficult than they first thought and, without any suitable home entertainment, they end up sampling the local nightlife where Max's new dance moves are a hit with the infamous Belgrano sisters.
    (Repeat, Subtitles)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

eth0_ wrote:
    I'm sure E4 will be showing it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hrmph, I normally head out on a friday night to the bar in work, so I'll be getting it on DVD when it comes out.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

E4 are repeating in on Tuesdays, 10:00 I think.

Yea, but I like being able to watch the entire thing ina row.... hence the dvd purchasing

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Repeated on:
    Tuesday 16 November
    10:00pm - 10:30pm
    E4

Wednesday 17 November
    11:05pm - 11:40pm
    Channel 4

"I like a girl with special needs".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

eth0_ wrote:
    Yes, that twat. Couldn't believe it when I heard he was going to be in the series.

Peter Kay has a bit of a fetish for crap middle aged stand ups - Dave Spikey, Roy Walker, Jim Bowen and now Brendan O'Carroll

• Registered Users Posts: 14,781 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah - was pretty good
    "Paddy has needs!"

MOD Edit: Link removed.

Don't give links to torrents please, it states so clearly in the forum charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watched it tonight having missed the first but seing it get the thumbs down in a tv review. Good fun esp the joke Sponsered by Chorley FM gag (cumming in your ears indeed!) and Noddy Holder as the buck tooth garge man.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thought tonight's episode was poor, last week was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Thought tonight's episode wasn't as good as last week's but still funny, nonetheless. Loved the 'A-Team' pisstake, I must admit. And did anyone else really feel for Max just there at the end of his story about his lost-love? Poor guy. :(

Thought the Chorley FM gag at the end was a bit stupid, though (and yes, I did get it).

..Thought the Chorley FM gag at the end was a bit stupid, though (and yes, I did get it)...

It's at the end of the first two episodes.. and i think will be at the end of every episode. A little in-joke for the Phoenix Nights fans.

Tonight's episode wasn't bad... but not as good as last week's! Opening sketch and the theme song were both brillant though! It was great to see all the regulars from Phoenix Nights too... even Brian before he was in the wheelchair.

Also loved the:

"How 'bout naked women coming through the forest with food? Here's your meal... here's your dessert!"
    'What's the dessert?"
    "Anything you want, it's your fantasy"
    "Can i have Angel Delight?"

"Let's get ready to ramble!"

'Willy Wanker And The Chocolate Factory'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

It wasn't as good as last weeks but still had its moments. Next week looks good.

Max: Its his 40th
    Paddy: He's a big young, isn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Some great lines in this weeks show;

Max:She were a kind of midget
    Paddy: That's a Queen song, ain't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭Morgans

I dont think that its a patch on Phoenix nights, where there were more characters to carry the show. Lacks the charm, subtlety and characters. I personally dont think this works well. McGuinness looks slightly out of his depth in the acting stakes and parodying a retro classic in the first two episodes so far, Dirty Dancing, The A Team, doesnt bode well for the ideas to come.

I know comedies need to find their legs, and judgement should probably be reserved for the end of the series, but I dont think this is going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Lump wrote:
    Yea, but I like being able to watch the entire thing ina row.... hence the dvd purchasing

John

Well its not out on DVD so just bleedin' watch it !!!!

Yes, but it will be, plus I go out on a friday night and have a social life, I tend to stay in on saturdays when there is nothing on tv.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Lump wrote:
    Yes, but it will be, plus I go out on a friday night and have a social life, I tend to stay in on saturdays when there is nothing on tv.

John

Its repeated TWICE during the week ffs. Anyway, ever heard of RECORDING something or would that just be too taxing for a socialite like yourself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I think that the show is good so far but will be 10 times funnier when watched a few times as was the case with the 2 PN series. Can still find a few new things to laugh at everytime I watch it.

BolBill wrote:
    Its repeated TWICE during the week ffs. Anyway, ever heard of RECORDING something or would that just be too taxing for a socialite like yourself :rolleyes:

Why does it bother you so much that I want to wait till it's out on dvd?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

What's Chorley FM a reference to?

Blisterman wrote:
    What's Chorley FM a reference to?
    It's a reference used in all of Peter Kay's TV shows..

He started it first in 'That Peter Kay Thing' where i think he had a DJ who worked for Chorley FM.

Then in 'Phoenix Nights', he had a couple of references to Chorley FM. Typically, at the beginning of a couple of episodes. When the gags don't involve much dialogue, the DJ for Chorley FM usually said a couple of lines and then ends with the Chorley FM catchphrase "Chorley FM... coming in your ears!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement