Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ire Vs Sa

• 13-11-2004 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Victory

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Fantastic win for the irish... beating SA will send a good message around the world of rugby... watch out....

Brilliant performance from O'Gara. O'Driscoll had a great game as well. Dempsey played well too.. And of course Shane Byrne had a stormer.. Great all round performance....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Fantastic result. The defence was superb!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exellent result and gritty performance. No doubt the SA coach will blame defeat on the ref for allowing O'Garas try...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

The SA coach was very gracious in defeat and took it on the chin.

if sa had got the same try i'd be raging. but we deserved the win. entertaining game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Great Win, the Irish defece was like a rock, O'Gara was on fire, thoroughly enjoyable game. \o/ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

mike65 wrote:
    Exellent result and gritty performance. No doubt the SA coach will blame defeat on the ref for aby his fist cap.llowing O'Garas try...

Mike.

Never happen. The one rule playing rugby is never turn your back on a penalty and thats what he will say to them. Excellent win though. Defence unreal(well done again Mike Ford)

Some of Johny O'Connors tackles were unreal,dead impressed i for his first game.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Excellent game excellent result. Tense stuff at the end but I felt the boys in white deserved it.

Out of curiosity is it just me or does anyone else get the urge to invade another country when they play Irelands Call at the start of the home matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

great result. The South Africans were pretty arrogrant IMO. Ireland defintely deserved to win it though. Nice to have the 17 game run ended as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH i HATE my job soooooooooooooooooo much :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I had tickets to the match and my **** of a boss wouldnt let me off, he wouldnt even let me take it out of my holidays. You would think after working there for a year and half and doing more work than anybody in the shop *including himself) he would let me off. Im going to work for christmas and january, then quit so i can go to the 6 nations matches and the senior cup matches [rant over!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Japseye

Whats the story with O Driscol drinking that lucozade or whatever it is whenever he is being interviewed, I'd love to know how much he's getting paid to do it, it tastes like pizz too id say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Japseye wrote:
    Whats the story with O Driscol drinking that lucozade or whatever it is whenever he is being interviewed, I'd love to know how much he's getting paid to do it, it tastes like pizz too id say!

tis become a bit of a joke at this stage....and even he knows it!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Thats all the SA are d ing.Sore losers and now there terrified that Eng are goin to pummle them and they'll be disgraced back home.
    My view-they had a southern hemisphere ref when we went there,they had one now with us at home,they were beaten,suck it in and stop being sore losers.Easy as that.The stats say it all about the tacle rate,we played them off the pitch.

BOD and his powerade :rolleyes: dolt.But thought the commetary taking the piss out of him afterwards was brilliant.

Was at the Munster match on Sat and it was class,never got out of 3rd gear and still beat them.Soft try at d last sec,doesnt really show how well they beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

daveirl wrote:

Great game, one of the best I've seen. :D:D

TBH I don't think those stats give an insight into how much Ireland dominated posession and position on the pitch.

Might be changing my bet on the six nations now - upping the amount on Ireland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

Great game, amazing defence, Johny O'Connor for president. I was in the North terrace and at the end all i could see was SA pushing hard again and again and then out of the mound of players we could see Foley bursting towards us ball in hand, i never roared so loud and everyone went fecking mental didn't even see Stringer hoof the ball out, the place was hopping ! Great game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Fudger wrote:
    Great game, amazing defence, Johny O'Connor for president. I was in the North terrace and at the end all i could see was SA pushing hard again and again and then out of the mound of players we could see Foley bursting towards us ball in hand, i never roared so loud and everyone went fecking mental didn't even see Stringer hoof the ball out, the place was hopping ! Great game :D

Terrific performance. A great win.

To be fair to many of the South African posters on bulletin boards that I've seen, most of them say Ireland deserved to win because of how they played, although they do gripe a bit about the try. Well, wouldn't we?

I believe O'Gara said that something similar happened to Munster while playing a Welsh team in the Celtic/Heineken Cup. So armed with that experience he thought he would try the same thing. The worst that could have happened would have been the penalty being retaken.

And now the South Africans know something: Never turn your back on a cute Cork hoor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Good performance, though SA were poor. Liked out attitude at the end, shows we are a confident group and that it was just a job well done. Think the players know its a big season for us as we've England and France at home in the six nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭whatalanger

Good performance overall. O'Gara was top class, will be Lions out-half next summer on the strength of that performance. Scrum didnt collapse when under pressure. Schalk Burger is a muppet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

great game. though there was a bit of a fiasco on the terraces. Was in the grounds 10 mins before kick off but there was no room on the south terrace. had to watch the 1st half from ground level behind the touch line.

asside from that it was great! anyone know where i can get a recording of the game? there's video highlights on the bbc sport website but its small, blocky and jerky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Mungaman

Well done to Ireland I finally got a ticket at the last minute and was delighted to get into see another historic win for Ireland. There was however in all of your collected adulation a few things that were missed. In the second half it became apparant early on that the SA's were running a swarm Def on the Ir backline. In a situation like this you have two options, either run your backline deep or you run it flat and go for one ups. I'm not sure wether it was Horgan at inside centre that was upsetting the cart but it didn't function as well as they should have. O'Gara was the calmest I have ever seen him and it worked. Why Mike Ford/O'Sullivan didn't study the Def tapes and work out that when they come up that fast in D your easy option is to chip or grub. They did it against us (AllBlacks) and Australia and when both teams chipped for the corner or put it thru with a grubber tries were scored. When you were ahead by 11 the ball could have been thrown round more and played in your own style. No doubt with the confidence that a win like that brings next time we'll see Irl pull ahead and dominate teams with your own game.
    I can't wait for the six nations why shouldn't Ireland win it? They really turned a corner, for too many years you've seen them roll over and die in situations like Saturday. I was pleased to see people really back them, in the past I've been to Landsdowne and in a situation like that the crowd is looking at eachother going
    "Ah Feck here we go again" but Saturday everyone could see the belife on the teams faces and the def round the fringe was world class.
    The only thing I was a bit surprised and saddened at was the universal booing of Schal Berger. A flankers job is to get off side and to push the limits he is also one of the best players in the world. For a ground like Landsdowne where sportsmanship is always shown it was a black mark. All in all a great win :)
    Mungaman

Mungaman wrote:
    I can't wait for the six nations why shouldn't Ireland win it?

Les Bleus again-FRANCE-beatin the Aussies 27-14 is no small thing.
    But be damn sure by the time we play everyone will be expecting us to win.
    Have the players and resources.England is a hurdle but France is the Objective in the 6 nations.Must win it!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement