Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for lego

Options
  • 13-11-2004 9:36am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    looking for some lego - not particularily for Christmas but would love to get one of the old type trains sets for my son. The blue track with the straight & curved sections and the sleepers. Lego company don't seem to make the old material any more -it's all harry potter & bionicle.

Please reply if you have one in your attic collecting dust and are willing to sell.

karl

Located in Meath but will collect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

eBay is a very good place to look for this

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

have been looking there also but thought (and know) that people might have a set here in Ireland --that don't need or want anymore.

But am keeping an eye on ebay also

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

karltimber wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    The blue track with the straight & curved sections and the sleepers.

I'll be very interested to see if you find any old Lego train stuff. My kids have 'inherited' mine and I love playing with them. We still have all the bits of the train and motors and the instructions for building them, but I'd love more track!

I've worked out that it's over 30 years old. Have a great memory of waking up in the middle of the night when I was young to see my parents on the floor of the bedroom playing with the train-set!

Good luck with your search.

My parents have a box of "our" lego but we leave it in their house when any of the grand children call. The reason I want a train is --it's fantastic to build diff tracks etc and I'm getting a bit miffed at DVD mania creeping in.

I loved it when I was young but am sure I'll be playing with is also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

karltimber wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    looking for some lego - not particularily for Christmas but would love to get one of the old type trains sets for my son. The blue track with the straight & curved sections and the sleepers. Lego company don't seem to make the old material any more -it's all harry potter & bionicle.
    I'm 35 now, and I always wanted that set when I was a kid.

The fact I never got it probably turned me into the hateful twisted creature I now am!

Anyway, your son won't appreicate it the same way you did - all Dads make that mistake. It would have been like your Dad giving you his old Meccano set or Airfix models or stick and hoop!

• Advertisement

I appreciate the fact he may never like it the way I did - but isn't it better to spend X amount of € now and find out - than just leaving it.

I know for a fact he loves the train set in my parents house.
    If I buy it and he plays with it once a month -it'll be worth buying.

****I'll probably play with it a bit myself *** :D:D

Bought this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sorry I can't answer your question but since we're on the subject here's a nice site for anyone trying to track down or just see pix of particular models etc

http://library.brickshelf.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Pigman II wrote:
    Sorry I can't answer your question but since we're on the subject here's a nice site for anyone trying to track down or just see pix of particular models etc

http://library.brickshelf.com/

Thanks for that link!!!

Ah, the memories.. I had the mobile tracking station on this page, but always wanted the big space cruiser!

I also had the train tracks, but don;t remember ever having a motor. It was all manual. I hate the way Lego has turned into what I call "Cheat Pieces". These custom moulded bits that don't leave as much to the imagination.

Was anyone in the "Lego Builders Club"? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Found some broken rails and a couple of wheels all in need of a good wash.
    - no sleepers, they wore out ages ago - seemed to be made of softer plastic :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm 35 now, and I always wanted that set when I was a kid.

The fact I never got it probably turned me into the hateful twisted creature I now am!

Anyway, your son won't appreicate it the same way you did - all Dads make that mistake. It would have been like your Dad giving you his old Meccano set or Airfix models or stick and hoop!
    I dunno, I inherited a load of my Dad's Meccano as a kid and loved it...

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

What a brilliant nostalgic site! Thanks for that link, Pigman II.

I was obsessed by Space Lego and had a few of the ones Adeptus Titanicus links to in his post above. It's mad to see them again.
    Can't believe it says "New 1983" on that page. :eek:
    Was anyone in the "Lego Builders Club"?

Of course I was in the club! :) They had really cheap looking Lego Club badges as far as I remember. Didn't they often include stickers which you could place on the chests of the Lego people? And there was a comic adventure story with some character called Indigo or something like that?

The spacemen were never the same after they introduced the visors!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aldi have a bucket of bricks for €12.99 or something
    500 bricks flairly plain bricks , it's only half full
    but a great addition to bulk up.

http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Set=4029-1

Heatons have this 100 pieces - 4 small cars on a cardboard track - large box - €14
    http://www.smartstart-toys.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=45
    probably best played when a little drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

ive been thinking about this. the lil bro has bionicle etc.
    however, where is the HARDCORE lego. none of this fancy crap but good old knights and black knights. when u used to make a car out of 2 sets of wheels and a gray 1 x 4? they've all disspeared to be honest, to my dismay. sigh. its all getting to advanced

speaking of these type of toys, remember those future sorta machines that clicekd together? Very hard to describe, they had little gold/silver men in the cockpit, and usually had an orange cockpit window that could lift up. You could connect diggers to the back of them, or caterpillar tires, or a weapon. they ruled. serious. might have them stored away somewhere, might also take a photograph....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Jayz, nearly got misty browsing that site... 'New for 1985'.. Was it really that long ago? I remember getting the blue space robot thing, the box it still in the garage!
    I aggree the pieces did start to get more 'clever' as time went on, once the Theme Legos start in all went to hell. I was makin Tie Fighters years before they sold a kit...
    God I could reminisce for pages and pages about it... I loved LEGO!
    Mear: Manta Force? Or was it the Matchbox one then where you could chain loads of modules together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

got myself some lego basic a fortnight ago, got home and emptied it out onto the kitchen table, housemates soon all over it!

Some of the new mega bloks stuff is good, theres even an aircraft carrier set (though not as good as mine will will be mwa ha ha ha). To my display Smiths in limerick didnt have the destroyer :(

Im more of a lego basic person than the sets anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Don't get me started on modern lego. My feelings on the subject require a RATM soundtrack. Lego died the moment the first smooth flat, themed pieces came in. I blame the castle sets for setting in the rot. The space sets had very smooth thin "wall" pieces, you know - they had the indents top and bottom but weren't full thickness. But they were usually only 4 long x 3 high and had a use - meant you could put a hold on your ship and hide a smaller ship inside, or a lander. The Castles should have been epic but instead you got like 6 wall pieces and a base. And lo, 10 seconds later you've got a "castle". Where was the planning and architecture in that?

I remember creating some huge spaceships - like triple decker things, out of plain bits. Challange was to keep the colour scheme all the way through, I always liked bright blue for some reason.

Advertisement