Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Soccer

Options
  • 11-11-2004 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm just wondering if anyone supports our soccer team?
    i think it would be great to have a big club in the city to support. But i reckon that people are more interested in GAA and rugby?

i love soccer and its a shame that limerick are slumped to the bottom of the irish league.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

something i was thinking about posting on today. why is it that limerick, with a population of 70,000, can only provide 13/14 guys for LoI matches? something is very wrong if that is the case. foot.ie has a limerick FC section which is pretty quiet, the thread on junior soccer in limerick is very busy. is it that people are'nt bothered playing for their local LoI team?This city has huge potential and its a shame that Limerick FC dont even have their own grounds (using Pike Rovers instead)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ah rugnby is far superior to soccer.

btw if anyone has links to limerick soccer websites I would be interested.

http://foot.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

limerick fc forum on foot.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

The junior scene is very big. There are more playing junior football in Limerick than any other sport. A lot of the very good players with the top clubs are getting a few quid every week so there is now need to play for Limerick.

I used to go a fair bit when they had a good team in the early 90s but have gone rarely since.

The fact that they play a lot of their home games on Sunday afternoons is killing them. There are so many playing football on Sundays that they can not make it up.

I heard this week that an investor has bought Hogan Park and they are moving back there. IMO its a bad move. When they originally moved up there the crowd started to fall away due to the location.

is that beside the train station?

• Advertisement

Hogan Park is up in Rathbane. The ground beside the train station is Jackman Park, the HQ of the LDMC who run junior football in Limerick.

Hogan Park is on your left coming in on the new road from Cork/Kerry onto Childers Road. There are floodlights up so its fairly easy to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

There is talk that they are moving back to Hogan Park again next season. Do these people not realise that Hogan Park is the reason the attendances dropped in the first place.

Crap part of town, crap facilities and unsafe parking will put most people off going up there.

The friday night option in Thomond Park is definitely the best. It is evident from other clubs in the EL that friday night draws the bigger crowds. Friday night is also the most favoured time for Welsh rugby clubs to have their games. People can go to the game before going on a night out. Plus in TP there are a couple of bars to keep the punters happy. And they can then walk into town for a few pints. The saturday 5.00pm kick offs for the european rugby games work out really well.

Rathbane has no bar. If you drive up there is a good chance something will happen your car. Most people wont walk due to the areas you have to walk through. Another stint in Rathbane might see the end of the club altogether.

Advertisement