Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish News of the Screws. Or the lack of, therein...

Options
  • 10-11-2004 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

I used to like the News of the World on a Sunday... absolute muck with as much sex and celebs as any womans weekly one would read in a hairdressers.

But, in the last 5 years, it changed into a pro-Fianna Fáil, green white and gold, "caring Ireland paper" etc. Even if you were a Fianna Fáil voter, its enough to make you cringe! Now, if you go up North and get the News of the Screws up there.... still the old favourite.

I bemoan what the Irish edition has become. Hopeless.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

DMC wrote:
    I used to like the News of the World on a Sunday

Sorry.... you lost me right about here ^ :D

Seriously though, the pro-fianna fail thing is really annoying, they give the bastards their own page for christs sake!!!!

I wonder if it's anything to do with News Corp wanting to spread itself around Ireland more (Sky News Ireland etc.) and needing Bertie to like them in order to get the rules relaxed... I'm probably just imagining it though!

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ah! For me, I was always a fan keeping an eye on the red-tops, and the News of the World is still the best (Andy Coulson, current editor, is one of the best editors in the game at the minute) all the while still resorting to the comfort of The Observer and The Sunday Times for the serious news. To be a real judge of the media, you have to see what the populus buy.

But sometimes, I often wonder why the English papers dilute themselves with Irish editions or Irish news, and I dont find them that appealing anymore. Buy a News of the World up North, its a completely different rag to the one on sale down here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

DMC wrote:
    Ah! For me, I was always a fan keeping an eye on the red-tops, and the News of the World is still the best (Andy Coulson, current editor, is one of the best editors in the game at the minute) all the while still resorting to the comfort of The Observer and The Sunday Times for the serious news. To be a real judge of the media, you have to see what the populus buy.

But sometimes, I often wonder why the English papers dilute themselves with Irish editions or Irish news, and I dont find them that appealing anymore. Buy a News of the World up North, its a completely different rag to the one on sale down here.

I agree, it's worth keeping an eye on them, to be fair we get the NOTW in my house every week, I don't buy it, my parents do. I usually flick through it but I'm done "reading" it after 3 minutes or so.
    As for Irish editions, the Sun and its sunday version have always pandered to the Irish, although the Sun usually give us the second page and a few re-written articles here and there. The Oirish or Irisch as it should be known. The NOTW does seem to go a bit further, I haven't read the UK edition so I can't say for sure, mind you (but I do remember them showing their old logo, the one with the Britannica woman or whatever she's called, holding a spear, with two Irish flags beside her.. I almost died from laughter)

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mig29ie

"
    I wonder if it's anything to do with News Corp wanting to spread itself around Ireland more (Sky News Ireland etc.) and needing Bertie to like them in order to get the rules relaxed... I'm probably just imagining it though"

- Now I see your true colours.

LOL - yeh you are imagining it ! LOL!

Advertisement