Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rabbit care

Options
  • 10-11-2004 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

recently, i discovered an unusual lump about the size of a tabletennis ball on my rabbit. it doesnt seem to be huring him and he's not in any pain. i'm not sure what to do as lumps growing on anything is generally bad. i'm a little low on monay at the moment and cant afford any serious operations or anything.
    i dont know what to do.
    any advice anyone could give me would be brilliant.(rabbitface in 6 years old)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Could be a cancerous growth, or maybe not. Take him to the vet for a check up. That won't cost too much. The vet will tell you whats wrong and give an estimated price to remove it.
    Or you could just remove the growth yourself with a sissors and keep it as a luck charm around your neck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

First thing I would do is get insurance for your rabbit. It shouldn't cost that much at all. Take him to the vet asap just in case, not all lumps are cancer. It may be a just a fatty nodule, which isn't serious and can be left alone. If it is cancer, and you cannot afford treatment, the kindest thing to do would be to put your rabbit down. As horrible as this prospect may be, it is preferable to having a rabbit in agonising pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'm not sure if you could get insurance for a 6-year-old rabbit as he is quite old. It could just be a cyst he has, so a checkup would be best.

The PDSA might be able to help you. I don't know if they're in Ireland though, it could just be Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If money is an issue, then why not give the Blue Cross a call.

http://www.bluecross.ie/

"Clients visiting the clinics queue up to receive basic treatments for their pets. Vaccinations are given to puppies and kittens from the age of twelve weeks. A low cost spaying and neutering scheme, costing just one third the normal rate, is also promoted. Life-saving operations are also subsidised for pet owners unable to afford full veterinary fees. For qualifying clients, Blue Cross will pay half of the bill."

The Irish Blue Cross,
    15a Goldenbridge Ind Est,
    Tyrconnell Road,
    Inchicore,
    Dublin 8.
    Tel: 01 416 3030
    Fax: 01 416 3035

"They have mobile clinics. The mobile clinic service provides veterinary treatments, check-ups, prescriptions and vaccinations for needy pets. The service is operated by teams of veterinary surgeons, voluntary drivers and helpers. Ten clinics operate each week day evening"

Here is a link to the locations where the clinics are held.

http://www.bluecross.ie/areas.html

If I were you, I would give them a call on the number above and explain your situation.

B

Advertisement