Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick: A Stroll Through Memory Lane Vol. 4 Out this week

Options
  • 10-11-2004 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

I have the first three volumes of this book and i see in the Chronicle today that Volume 4 is out at the end of the week.

The book contains photographs of Limerick city and county from early 20th century onwards.

I'm so looking forward to volume four, I am hoping for more pictures of the south side of the city to be in it.

does any one else have these books, and do they have a favorite photo from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Well I got the book, some nice pictures in it, a little dissappointed that my house wasnt in it :) actually there were none of the estates I would have haunted, maybe janesborough, and there is a picture of the rathbane kiosk in it.

There are three interesting pictures in it. One is an areal photograph of the people's park, another is a comparison of the south side of the rriver bank from the Clarion Hotel area to the old Dunnes stores. A picture of 1940 and the present day. and the last was a picture of the railway station from the 1930s or 1940s with horses and carts in what is now the car park.

It would be nice if I could post some of the pictures up but unfortunately they are subject to copywright so you are just going to have to trust me that it is worth at least a look if you are not interested in buying it.

well will add to the other three,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Hey Billy,

Might check that Book out-sound's like a good christmass present.how much did you pay, and is it worth it?
    Also, you appear to be a bit of a history buff, so did you ever read anything
    about limerick declaring itself a communist state and printing its own money etc. circa 1920's ? i thought this was a wind up, but an old boy who drinks in fennesseys reckons he read about it in the history section in the city library(where they keep all the old record books).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

It happened in 1919, good site here http://www.limericksoviet.com

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

about €14 at easons some newsagents and the limerick lleader office

would make a great present for christmas, If you are lucky you might be able to get the other volumes as well roughly the same price.

yeah i heard about the limerick soviet. when i see the likes of the peoples republic of cork and the LNA i smile and think how much full of oul talk they are. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Cheers lads.
    some good reading there, now if i could drag myself away from HL2
    for 5 mins... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement