Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrested Development

Options
  • 09-11-2004 10:15pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

Who else loves this show?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

It's a great show, but I think the unconventional format (i.e. not like Friends) puts people off. I notice that it's been relegated to late night on TV3... shame.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Love the show. I've already got the Season 1 boxed set, so I've only a few left to watch (there's some great cut/extended scenes on the DVDs too).

The unconventional format works for me (I love "Curb Your Enthusiasm" too) and the characters are nearly all enjoyable. So many good jokes packed in per episode (for some reason Carl Weather's "baby, you got yourself a stew going!" keeps popping into my head). Highly recommended and, given its TV3 treatment, I'm glad I invested in my DVD set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

really loving this show havin a really hard time tryin to get peeps to watch it though but there loss imo
    Brock

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's one of them shows i want to watch and mean to watch - but i always miss it!

Cheers for the info on the Season 1 boxset, ixoy!

Much appreciated!

For anyone else interested, you can get the Region 1 DVD for the great price of E29 at PlayUSA.com (free delivery included!) - http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=search&r=R1&title=0&searchstring=arrested+development&searchtype=r1title&id=0&adudisc=y&cpage=1&Cur=514

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

It and CYE are the best shows on the box at the moment. Whatever you can say about Americans, they make some of the best comedies.

• Advertisement

LFCFan wrote:
    It and CYE are the best shows on the box at the moment. Whatever you can say about Americans, they make some of the best comedies.
    True... love Scrubs also!

But the one thing the Americans do bad is remake British comedies - the disasters than were:

- Men Behaving Badly (think it lasted one series in the US - never saw it!)
    - Coupling (don't know how anyone even considers this crap a comedy?!)
    - The Office (advanced reviews of the American version of it have been poor!)

They're pretty poor at remakes but they produce the best original shows. I'd rather be great at originality and poor at remakes then crap at originality and great at re-hashing tried and tested formats. In RTE's case they can do neither :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Is Coupling the bbcs attempt at making a british friends type sitcom? If it is the show I'm thinking about, it was atrocious.

Is Coupling the bbcs attempt at making a british friends type sitcom? If it is the show I'm thinking about, it was atrocious.
    Yep, that's the one!

It was painfully unfunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

It's a great show. I watched the first episode of Season 2 tonight which has just started in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Tobias in those gay denim shorts :p

LFC, nice sig.:D

I loved the last episode where
    Jobe slept with the minger because he thought Micheal fancied her and then went to the wrong classroom when he wanted to sleep with the teacher Michael liked and ended up sleeping with another minger. Then they kept ringing him up
    . Is the series on TV3, Series 1 or Series 2?

LFCFan wrote:
    ..Is the series on TV3, Series 1 or Series 2?..

As far as i know, it's Series 1 on TV3 as the 2nd series only started in the US last Sunday night.

I probably wouldn't expect the new series of it on TV3 til at least the New Year and that's it TV3 bother to get the rights to it (this graveyard slot for it ain't looking too good). But i do know that BBC have bought the rights to the second series of it, along with the new series of Family Guy and American Dad (new animation series from the creator of Family Guy).

I was reading on it's message board on IMDB a couple of months back and the show was on the verge of being axed after the first season but it got such a cult following that they renewed it for another season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭weerez

I love the show, just ordered Season1 on dvd

weerez wrote:
    I love the show, just ordered Season1 on dvd

Got the DVD last week. It's one of the few shows I could watch again and again, and now I can :)

LFCFan wrote:
    Got the DVD last week. It's one of the few shows I could watch again and again, and now I can :)
    Ditto. I've also been keeping up to date with the US broadcasts and am happy to report there's no drop in quality! I really like the way, in S2, that
    Michael doesn't like Anna, George Michael's gf and keeps forgetting about her biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

I blue myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Have the DVD set aswell, such a good show!

Lucille is damn funny, esp. with all the weight comments to Lindsay, and her general treatment of her kids including Annyong-- she's the best! :D

I can't remember the last time I laughed as much as in "Best Man For The Gob" (not sure if it's been on TV3 yet)
    Lucille wants Gob to take Buster to his bachelor party so he won't be alone in the house with all the "j.u.i.c.e" because she's going to Annyong's soccer award ceremony...and the minute she says Annyong, he pops up and says "Annyong"-- everyone goes silent and Lucille just turns & GLARES at him! Absolutely hilarious expression on her face!!
    Also the episode where she's using Annyong's pockets to store all her stuff, cos he "goes with everything".

The addition of Annyong was inspired, and the joke hasn't gotten old yet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭SteM

basquille wrote:
    For anyone else interested, you can get the Region 1 DVD for the great price of E29 at PlayUSA.com (free delivery included!) - http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=search&r=R1&title=0&searchstring=arrested+development&searchtype=r1title&id=0&adudisc=y&cpage=1&Cur=514

It's on DVDSoon for 24ish including delivery, well worth buying.

http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=121143

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Annyong!

Adore the show, but find it hard to keep track of it; TV3 started showing it on Thursday evenings, then moved to later in the night... then moved to Friday night. Uhm, thanks.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i'm supposed to get the lend of the first season on DVD any day now, as i always seem to miss it when it's on. Also, TV3 are causing havoc with the schedules. It's 'Kingdom Hospital' all over again!

Might even buy the first season on DVD!

Watched the first three episodes of the second season... very funny stuff! Especially episode 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Saw this for the first time last night, its very good. I'll have to keep an eye out for more episodes.

The complete lack of canned laughter is welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭weerez

Last night's episode was brilliant (Especiallly the last five minutes at the dock).

Began downloading some episodes on Saturday to see what it was like. I have to say that it is brilliant, easily one of the best series I have seen in a long time.

Ive rewatched the first three episodes of season two twice. Its a refreshing change to the usual canned laughter ****coms such as Everone Wants to Murder ****i*ng Raymond.

Ive rewatched the first three episodes of season two twice.
    Indeed. I particularly liked the way:
    Gob kept using magic tricks to woo and impress the board and Michael just got increasingly irritated :)

Or Michael's reaction to George Michael's girlfriend, Anne.

Or Lucille turning on the mixer so she doesn't have to listen to Michael.

Or the hospital doctor announcing, in the second episode, that Tobias has died and then again being misunderstood and everyone shouting, "what the *bleep* is wrong with you!"

Ah screw it, I just love the damn show!

How do you do spoiler tags, I cant for the life of me remember.

How do you do spoiler tags, I cant for the life of me remember.
    [HTML]
    Spoiler in here
    [/HTML]

I loved the way they beeped out the girl saying Fu*k when the doctor said he was alive yet it sounds as if the mother uses the word Cu*t.
    So far youve only lost the company 99 dollars.
    The bit in the third episode when Michael is telling his son to remind Ann that she shouldnt let some guy cheat off her in atest. And then he turns around to his brother and says that he Ann just hasnt grown on him.

It is such a brilliant show that gets *****d around by narrow minded schedulers.

Just finished watching episode 4 of Season 2 (shown in the US last night). Some great stuff in it:
    Buster as a child throwing "what he thought was Rosa's favourite toy" at "what he thought was Rosa's car"

GOB's coffin trick

GOB's 'unintentional' gay advances at 'Gary the Poof'.

Michael: "They found your grandfather. That's what i wanted to tell you. I didn't wanna say that while you were talking to Egg!" :)

Michael: "I think George Michael's hiding Anne in the attic.."
    Lindsay:: (scoffs) "From who?.. The Nazi's!"

Michael: Oh good. Anne, you're here.. i wasn't sure if you got my message!"
    Anne:: "It wasn't a message... we talked!"
    [ Michael stares blankly ]

Michael: It's as Anne as the nose on plain's face!"

• Advertisement

I have no problem with that.

Advertisement