Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what did you want to be when you were growing up?

Options
  • 09-11-2004 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

i wanted to be a chef sadly i didnt take that road....................................yet :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Lol i went through a few things growing up... first i think was a bus driver, then an ice cream man... that's about all i can remember lol, pretty stupid eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Supreme Ruler Of The Universe. But then I was 5, you tend to aim low at that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I wanted to be a scientist :) not sure what kind but someone who deals with chemicals and mixing of chemicals to make big boom! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I wanted to work in a toy shop.. a particular one though in a town near me at home!! had the best toys and always aimed at owning it none the less!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i wanted to be a Shop-keeper.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I wanted to be a nurse ................. until I got blood taken when I was 13. After that I wanted to be a professional basketball player!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I think I wanted to be a train driver. How original and sterotypical was that. Anyway one of my mates is a train driver and judging by his wages, I still want to be a train driver. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

ding wrote:
    I think I wanted to be a train driver. How original and sterotypical was that. Anyway one of my mates is a train driver and judging by his wages, I still want to be a train driver. ;-)
    did you watch thomas the tank engine growing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

woosaysdan wrote:

ah yes thomas the tank engine... i was brought up on that stuff..

anyway.. i wanted to be a pilot, an architect or a doctor...

I now work in I.T., but still have aspirations for the pilot and architect... seriously thinking about a switch in the next year or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I don't think we had a tv when I was 5-6. :eek: Imagine that? I got a train set for xmas, Lima I think not a Hornby one. Anyway thats where my dreams started.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

i wanted/want to be banana man,

wait a minute!!
    :eek:

i am banana man :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

ah yes thomas the tank engine... i was brought up on that stuff..

anyway.. i wanted to be a pilot, an architect or a doctor...

I now work in I.T., but still have aspirations for the pilot and architect... seriously thinking about a switch in the next year or so...

Its never too late. I wanted to be an architect, now I'm an engineer (close enough).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

once after watching topgun i wanted to be a fighter jet piolet!!! im afraid of heights though sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

woosaysdan wrote:
    once after watching topgun i wanted to be a fighter jet piolet!!! im afraid of heights though sigh

Me too.

I used to imagine I was a US Navy fighter pilot shooting down Jap Zeros over the Pacific, I cycled around imagining my bicycle was a Grumman Hellcat making machine gun and "Take that Tojo!" noises. A right div kid :rolleyes:

If it wasn't for my short sightedness and vertigo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Have a shop, be a scientist, be an astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

i wanted to be (and still do) a sheriff... with a gun and a hat and the ability to shoot bad guys...

one day... one day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I wanted to drive trucks for Duffy Express Freight ... I used to spend my Friday & Sunday evening travelling to & from Donegal respectively :)

I also wanted to be a Bus Driver for Boyce's Buses ... see above for explanation why!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I wanted to be an archeologist

I still do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I wanted to be a vet or a rock star. Didnt have the brains to be a vet but doing my best to be a rock star.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I wanted to be a serial killer but The thought of soap on a rope didnt appeal to me somehow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

But then I was told I had to be a US citizen. At 7 I assumed the door had shut. So then I wanted to be a commercial pilot (when I was 12), but I was told I needed 20/20 vision.....and I didnt have it.
    Turns out I dont think a pilot needs 20/20 vision anyway. Racing cars now.....in around some engineering... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wanted to be a doctor when I was younger. But I hate the sight of blood! I think I was more decisive when I was 12 about what I want to do with my life than what I am now...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

fighter jet pilot here as well

sent off to the RAF and everything

eyesight, or rather my lack of it

so now im doing the second best thing, comp sys degree in UL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Scientist.

Of course, now I have a science degree I find out that there are no bloody jobs going. Typical. Don't have dreams, kids, they'll just get crushed mercilessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

I wanted to be an astronaut... and still do :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I wanted to be an astronaut too :D Failing that, I wanted to be a college lecturer - still working on the later...give me another 5 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Maybe its a ''Cathy'' thing?

I dunno what i wanted to be, still dont actually, dont really plan on growing up for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I think the first thing I wanted to be was a Chef when I was about 10 or so, having to do the washing up afterwards, I just knew it wasn't for me ;)

I was really into the whole space thing for a while in my teens aswell, but @ 16 I decided I was gonna be a journalist, but writing about real life depressing stuff is too 'real' so now I wanna work in TV production and write made-up stuff :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I wanted to own a shop. Then I wanted to be a Vet. After that I wanted to be a Blue Peter presenter. Then I decided I just wanted a Blue Peter presenter's lifestyle. Haven't looked back since.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I wanted to be a writer. I kinda still do... Technical writer, which I've become, isn't the same thing...

Advertisement