Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Colt service due - including timing belt

Options
  • 09-11-2004 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

My Mitsubishi Colt is due a service and it needs a new timing belt. I was talking to a lad here in work and he said it cost him €700 to get his Astra serviced and timing belt done, he said it cost so much because of the labour - they had to take the whole engine out to get at the timing belt!!

Does anyone know if they will have to do this on a Colt - and does it normally cost this much for a service and timing belt??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

How old is your colt ? if it's old (as in no one is going to buy it after you) then don;t bring it to a dealership to get serviced. whereas if it's new you may want to keep the Full service history with tthe garage you purchased it from.

this will be a big factor in the cost, but as always , ring around.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

As Fionn said, shop around. If its an old colt which isint worth much your probably best off taking it to a local garage. Also, not certain.. but if I remember correctly isint there loads of room in the colt engine bay? or am I thinking of the lancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The timing belt on all Colts can be done with minimum effort with the engine in-situ. The belt costs around €30 and it will take two hours to fit. A major service including brake pads shouldn't cost more than €220. The two together should be under €300. Consider the age of the car and how much longer you plan to keep it - shop around and avoid main dealers if the car is over three years old or you don't have a service history.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

The timing belt on all Colts can be done with minimum effort with the engine in-situ. The belt costs around €30 and it will take two hours to fit. A major service including brake pads shouldn't cost more than €220. The two together should be under €300. Consider the age of the car and how much longer you plan to keep it - shop around and avoid main dealers if the car is over three years old or you don't have a service history.

'c

belt and tensioner will be slightly more then 30yoyos.

so 180e's should cover the belt replacement in local garage. Dealer is different story

i can ask somebody if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Gmodified wrote:

so 180e's should cover the belt replacement in local garage. Dealer is different story

Calbro in Galway will sell you a timing belt for €31+vat and if you think the tensioner needs to be done it will be €70 extra. It is very rare that you need to change both, especially on Japanese cars and I wouldn't change it as a matter of course.

Cars are an awful waste of money and manufacturers make money by selling you things you don't need. Like cambelt tensioners... You might as well change the CV joints while you are at it.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

i said ,slightly more then 30 yoyo's and not talking about tensioner pulley(with bearing) which is only really replaced when bearing is noisy.

I meant "tensioner spring"as most of japs use it to pre load the tensioner pulley and will be extra say 8-20yoyo's depending on the model, so you change belt and spring. You don't need the spring if tentioner is automatic and will adjust itself accordingly to belt condition.

as for dealers , some do sell complete sets including belt,spring/pulley and some other crap , just to get more money

but some of them, like honda sell only belts with spring as one set at OK price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Fionn101 wrote:
    How old is your colt ? if it's old (as in no one is going to buy it after you) then don;t bring it to a dealership to get serviced. whereas if it's new you may want to keep the Full service history with tthe garage you purchased it from.

this will be a big factor in the cost, but as always , ring around.

hope this helps

Its only a 99 with 52k on the clock - will probably be selling it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

'c

Thats a relief =)

€300 isnt too bad I suppose, not as bad as €700 anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lukhet

Gmodified wrote: »

Can you recommend anyone that could do it for that price or around 200 euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thread is 12 years old dude. Might be better of PMing the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Knew from the title it'd be necro, who drives Colts these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

FFS. :mad:

Must. Look. at. Date. of. OP.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement