Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More silly Motorway signs

Options
  • 08-11-2004 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

You know those signs you see in built-up areas marking zones where trucks may not park? And the corresponding ones that end the zones? Well, maybe they've been there all along, but tonight I spotted two of them on the M50, just north of the Ballinteer exit (one in each direction). Specifically, the signs claim to mark the end of the no-parking-for-lorries zone.

Why on earth did anybody suppose we should have these on a motorway?

Dermot

PS: For extra credit - anybody familiar with the M1's northern extremity at Dundalk will have noticed that lorries often park up on the hard shoulder in each direction just inside the motorway regulations (IOW, just where they shouldn't). Last time I drove the route, I saw a small sign on the verge, too small to be intended for reading by anybody not stopped alongside. Does anybody know what it says?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mackerski wrote:
    Last time I drove the route, I saw a small sign on the verge, too small to be intended for reading by anybody not stopped alongside. Does anybody know what it says?
    "No stoping"*

* May not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

Victor wrote:
    "No stoping"*

* May not be true

I wondered about that. I forgot to mention that it starts along the lines of "notice to owners of vehicles".

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

I used to always see a group of trucks parked on the hard shoulder at the Bllinteer entrance to the M50. This was quite early in the morning (7:30 or so) - when I drive past there later there are no trucks. Maybe the drivers use this section to get some kip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Someday soon they might even put numbers on the junctions and god forbid overhead signage. I was driving on the M40 and M42 near Birmingham and the amount of both overhead signage and LED signs is incredible (bordering on OTT). What an earth on those silly LED signs on the M50 for that display out of date information and why aren't they on proper mountings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

fjon wrote:
    I used to always see a group of trucks parked on the hard shoulder at the Bllinteer entrance to the M50. This was quite early in the morning (7:30 or so) - when I drive past there later there are no trucks. Maybe the drivers use this section to get some kip?

Maybe - but you don't need special signs to stop them. More to the point, you certainly don't want to suggest that it's OK to park another 300m north, which is what the signs do.

Dermot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Brian D, the silly LED signs you refer to are actually VMS's, variable message signs and play a vital role with the management of traffic on the M50 when there has been an incident.

What do you mean by: why aren't they on proper mountings?

Advertisement