Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine Fish

Options
  • 05-11-2004 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering - do you guys know anywhere in Dublin that is good for getting marine fish?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do you already have a marine aquarium, or are you just considering it? If you don't, then I can tell you from bitter experience that properly maintaining a marine aquarium is a whole lot more complicated (and expensive!!) than a fresh water one.

I believe there's a place in Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire or thereabouts that does marine stuff but I can't find the reference to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Just considering it - I know it'd be very hard work, but have always wanted to have a shot at it. Already have had a tropical tank, but would like a marine one.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Try fishantics. com. Got lots of stuff.Expencive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

thanks a million bishop!

mucho appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

tinkerbell wrote:
    Just considering it - I know it'd be very hard work, but have always wanted to have a shot at it. Already have had a tropical tank, but would like a marine one.

OK, just checking.

Another imprtant concern is an ethical one ... virtually all marine tropical fish available on the market come from the wild, i.e. not bred in captivity like most freshwater fish. Let's just say that although some come from areas where the people who catch them are concerned with conservation, many are not and use all kinds of dubious techniques (poisons like chlorine and cyanide for example) to harvest them which result in populations depeleting. Then there's the whole market in live corals, and so-called 'live rocks' as well, causing the gradual destruction of coral reefs.

I had a tropical tank many years ago when I lived in Germany. Although it was a beautiful thing to see, it was a lot of work, and a lot of hassle especially at holiday times. It's not just a matter of chucking a handful of fish flakes every now and then ... When I left Germany I sold my tank on to an enthusiast, and haven't had one since. I really miss it, but the ethical issues swung it for me.

If you really want to go ahead, get a few good books first and read up on it to let you know what you're getting yourself into. And preferably try to find someone else, or a club and talk to them about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

i'd recommend keeping fish called African cichlids.
    they are as colourful as marine fish but freshwater and
    much more hardy, more ethical as many are tank bread and
    infinitely cheaper.

here's my tank:
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/displaytank.php?tank=5897&group=owner

Advertisement