Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Clear boxes

Options
  • 05-11-2004 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I see an increasing number of boxes marked at junctions where you'd expect to see yellow boxes. They're white dashed rectangles with the words KEEP CLEAR painted inside. What is the legal status of these? Why don't they just put down standard yellow boxes? At least they have a well known meaning, albeit often ignored, and have international language-independent meaning as well as being explained in the Rules of the Road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭jd

jlang wrote:
    I see an increasing number of boxes marked at junctions where you'd expect to see yellow boxes. They're white dashed rectangles with the words KEEP CLEAR painted inside. What is the legal status of these? Why don't they just put down standard yellow boxes?
    I think you can enter a yellow box for a right turn if your exit is not clear.

jd

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

I’m not sure if you seen it about 2 months ago, but Top Gear in England had CheerLeaders and people with placards waiting at a yellow box for somebody to stop in it. If somebody did, they surround the vehicle and embarrass the hell out of the driver. With TV cameras there too, I wonder it the driver would think twice.

Somebody in RTE or TV3 should do the same, especially on the LUAS lines, show the face of the guilty party on national television and try to ask them why they stopped in the yellow box. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I prefer the 'drive a tram through their car' option.

Aim for at least two a day to begin with, and watch the numbers stopping in yellow boxes fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

jd wrote:
    I think you can enter a yellow box for a right turn if your exit is not clear.

You can, but you may not. You may stop on a yellow box when turning right only if your exit (in the road you're about to enter) is clear. IOW, if the only thing keeping you on the box is the oncomnig traffic.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Quite correct, Dermot, but the suggestion made by "jd" seems to be the understanding of many motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mackerski wrote:
    You can, but you may not. You may stop on a yellow box when turning right only if your exit (in the road you're about to enter) is clear. IOW, if the only thing keeping you on the box is the oncoming traffic.

Agreed ... until, of course, the oncoming traffic stops in the yellow box as well, thereby blocking your exit from it too :)

As an aside, how many of you have had people behind you when you're stopped before a yellow box honking their horns at you, or worse still, as has happened to me a couple of times here, actually pull out around you and then block the box themselves !!!!

mackerski wrote:
    You can, but you may not. You may stop on a yellow box when turning right only if your exit (in the road you're about to enter) is clear. IOW, if the only thing keeping you on the box is the oncomnig traffic.

Dermot
    Sorry- that is what I meant.
    jd

Alun wrote:
    As an aside, how many of you have had people behind you when you're stopped before a yellow box honking their horns at you, or worse still, as has happened to me a couple of times here, actually pull out around you and then block the box themselves !!!!
    Yip
    I nearly got out of the car ad thumped the guy.
    jd

Advertisement