Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp Recycling

Options
  • 04-11-2004 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

I was in intel with my school today and we were told about stamp recyling, has anyone got any more info on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Haven't heard anything on stamp recycling. and quite honestly how recycling stamps on their own would be enviromentally 'efficent' (I've refrained from using the would friendly from now on because it seems to convey a false meaning).

But it doea remind me a scam that was pulled way back when posting jiffy bags full of 3 1/2 in floppies. get some uhu glues and put a thin layer over the stamps. Post it to you friend. When it reaches your freind all he does is peel off the layer of glue with the postmark leaving the stamps undamaged. Worked for ages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK you can donate used stamps to some charities - no idea which ones or if they have any real value.

People have been caught putting stamps in washing machines to remove the postmarks so they can be reused. I think they use different ink nowadays.

I've got a parcel and a letter recently with unmarked stamps, so I've got about €8 of stamps to recycle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rozabeez wrote:
    I was in intel with my school today and we were told about stamp recyling, has anyone got any more info on it?
    Postage stamps or machine stamps?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Enniscorthy Echo

http://www.unison.ie/enniscorthy_echo/index.php3?ca=38&issue_id=10874
    Furlong at large
    A number of appeals for used stamps have appeared lately, especially in this newspaper a couple of weeks ago from Father Woods of Blackwater who is collecting used stamps for a deserving charity. Another well-known collector of stamps for charity is the popular young doctor in Wexford General Hospital, Dr. Eamonn Tierney. Many convents welcome used stamps, especially I recall,

More : http://www.unison.ie/enniscorthy_echo/stories.php3?ca=38&si=1181758&issue_id=10874
    But registration required.

I've heard of charities looking for stamps.........but how do they make money from it?

• Advertisement

Keeks wrote:
    I've heard of charities looking for stamps.........but how do they make money from it?
    Collectors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

they use postage stamps to help the bogs or whatnot.

Rozabeez wrote:
    they use postage stamps to help the bogs or whatnot.
    Bogs? :eek:

Victor wrote:
    Collectors?

Collectors generally collect things that are hard to get or unusal.......not ordanary everyday kinds.

I must look into it

Advertisement