Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Performance Criteria

Options
  • 04-11-2004 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭

What are the maximum slopes (instantaneous and sustained), minimum tunring radius, etc. for Luas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Are you alluding to the traction problems recently experienced by a tram going up Steevens Lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BrianD wrote:
    Are you alluding to the traction problems recently experienced by a tram going up Steevens Lane?
    No, I wasn't aware of any problems. I was wondering for the purposes of tunnels entrances etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Victor wrote:
    No, I wasn't aware of any problems. I was wondering for the purposes of tunnels entrances etc.

Amazing how they kept the inadequate engineering of the trams out of the news for so long when it was common knowledge that they had problems with rainfall!.

Good Grief!!! did no one notice that it rains quite a bit in Dublin!

Hilarious to see the congestion caused by Luas with its wheels spinning along Steevens lane due to the rain.

Bee

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The max. gradient for LRT is somewhere between 5 and 10 in 100, according to something I read. Turning circle is somewhere between 11 and 30 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Bee wrote:
    Amazing how they kept the inadequate engineering of the trams out of the news for so long when it was common knowledge that they had problems with rainfall!.

Good Grief!!! did no one notice that it rains quite a bit in Dublin!

Hilarious to see the congestion caused by Luas with its wheels spinning along Steevens lane due to the rain.

Bee

What congestion did it cause? I am sure Luas users were delayed but I fail to see how it caused congestion to anyone else. It is supposed to be a Luas only road.

That particular problem wouldn't be an issue if the signals were properly set up to activate before the trams had to come to a complete stop. It was the trying to restart at the top of the hill that caused the problem, if they were allowed to go through without stopping it would not be a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement