Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baroque Cycle

Options
  • 04-11-2004 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on the Baroque Cycle? Just finished The System of The World. Does anyone know any good sites with theories on some of the more confusing aspects of the plot (like the Enoch Root thing from Cryptonomicon)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Just got my hands on the System of the world yesterday...so i can't comment of its plot...but i enjoyed the first two even if they tend to be a bit uneven. Holding out hopes that Stephenson will end his run of ending his books poorly with this one....

Cryptonomicon is probably the best book i've ever read....flawed last third but up until that, it's a work of pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

http://www.metaweb.com/wiki/wiki.phtml < Great resource for stephenson lore and theories.

I loved the Baroque cycle, i was pissed of when i finished them, i'll give myself a month or two to digest them in teh background and then re-read all of them, starting with cryptonimicon, the insane amount of subtle links between the books impress me more and more on every re-read. (cryptonimicon about 10 times now, and the baroque cycle twice)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I am GOING to afto get this cryptonimicon that everyone talks about, sounds brilliant :)

I am GOING to afto get this cryptonimicon that everyone talks about, sounds brilliant :)

Go for it...tis quality. Interesting, informative and some of the best anecdotes i've ever read....
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

RuggieBear wrote:
    Holding out hopes that Stephenson will end his run of ending his books poorly with this one....

Dont bet on it.....SOTW kinda petered out tbh. Was I bit disappointed hope you wont be.

• Advertisement

Dont bet on it.....SOTW kinda petered out tbh. Was I bit disappointed hope you wont be.

Still only read about the first 20 pages or so....but yeah, i'm feeling he can't end a book to save his life. :eek: But then, no writer is perfect..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I didnt mind the ending, it was certainly an improvement on his other books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

except for snow crash - that ending ruled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

It is pretty hard to end a book, I think he pulls it off well in most of them. Maybe not The Diamond Age, that's a bit sudden. The Snow Crash ending was very cool, but a bit of a Deus Ex Machina

Thanks for the website, echomadman.

I really only appreciate most of the finer details of The Baroque Cycle the second time round. Teague Partry is so cool...

Advertisement