Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any broadband providers who do not have a 12-month contract?

Options
  • 04-11-2004 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Are there any broadband providers in Ireland (and I mean any, including business as I am self-employed) who do not require a 12-month contract?

Help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Netsource

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 smythwj

yes, I thought that too but I've contacted them and the salesperson said that actually it was a 12-month contrcat with a 2-mth notice, but she may be confsued and I asked her to check

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Irish Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

jessy wrote:
    Irish Broadband
    IBB are a years contract on their home products , i dont know about their business products though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Their lower 2 packages have a 12 month contract. The other's are just 2 monthly rolling contracts as far as I know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

you could always go for eircoms 3 month free trail and give it back after that!!! :)

ciaranfo wrote:
    Their lower 2 packages have a 12 month contract. The other's are just 2 monthly rolling contracts as far as I know...
    Which packages are 2 month rolling contracts???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 smythwj

sorry woosaysdan, I've already had the esat bt trial for 3 months, so I can't have any more...

gline wrote:
    IBB are a years contract on their home products , i dont know about their business products though
    there is no 12month contract with ripwave.

ok except for the crappy ripwave connection LOL :D

• Advertisement

gline wrote:
    ok except for the crappy ripwave connection LOL :D

I know loads of people have had trouble with it, but so far i have had a continuous red light, and in the last 5 days I’ve d/l almost 9GB, general surfing speeds are also good,

I know Ill probably be on here in a week complaining about them but for now i can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭TemplarBarna

smythwj wrote:
    sorry woosaysdan, I've already had the esat bt trial for 3 months, so I can't have any more...

why can't you try eircom's free trial after you finish with Esat's ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You can't.

You've registered for a BB trial of ISP X. You've had your taste. No-one else will offer you a trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

A few people in here have reported that they've been able to have (at least) two seperate ISPs give them trials. No harm in trying.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am surprised that the '12 month contract' has not become an issue before now. With lifestyles changing and people becoming more mobile whether with work or just changing living arrangements not to mention hopefully more competition entering the market commiting for 12 months for a fairly significant minority of people must present a problem.

I can understand that the setting up costs can force an isp to looking for an initial 12 month contract but I really feel that anyfurther requirement for a 12 month contract either during or on completion of the initial one should be strongly resisted.

http://www.netsource.ie/business/origin_plus.asp

http://www.netsource.ie/business/enterprise.asp

http://www.netsource.ie/business/corporate.asp

I'm on the Origin Plus myself. Can be a little slow at times but for the most part is perfect for web browsing and downloading.
    No problems with file sharing clients either.

The gaming pings can be a bit high though, averaging about 70 to UK servers.

Support is rubbish. It takes a week for them to reply to emails and even then it requires a follow up to get the answer you required.

I don't have much experience with their phone support, the little I've had they've been very nice but I've found it hard to get through to them at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Delerium

I have been screwed by the 12 month contract, because I was forced to move house 3 months ago and my new line is not suitable for broadband. Of course I only found out this AFTER paying €145 to get a phone line connected...

So I'm stuck paying the monthly fee with UTV for a property I don't even live in, and will be paying this well into next year.... :mad:

It's time they did shorter contracts or a monthly payment scheme. Or at least allow you to cancel the contract in these kind of situations without paying the ridiculous cancellation fee of €127!!!!!!!

Makes me sick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

do they care at all if you say and mean something like "if you charge me that cancelation fee i will never do buisness with you again and will tell all my family and friends never to either" ??

Most likely they wouldnt care less, hard to telll though, as word of mouth is powerfull. Tell them u will post a bad thread about them in a large irish forum, heheeh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

gline wrote:
    Most likely they wouldnt care less, hard to telll though, as word of mouth is powerfull. Tell them u will post a bad thread about them in a large irish forum, heheeh ;)

"But Mr X. How could you complain to an Irish Forum after we inform the other ISPs of your lacklustered commitment to a broadband contract? Mwahaha.."

• Advertisement

gline wrote:
    Which packages are 2 month rolling contracts???
    Origin Plus, Enterprise and the one above that (corporate I think)

Advertisement