Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original Arcade Games

Options
  • 03-11-2004 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know where to get hold of original arcade cabinets.
    Something like Outrun, Chase HQ, Bubble Bobble, BombJack etc.

I know they can be sourced from the UK but shipping etc. can be fairly outrageous.

Regards,
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Hi Paul

why not try Buy and Sell?

www.buyandsell.net

You never know you might be lucky!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yep - keep an eye on Buy and Sell - do you want them for yourself or for an Arcade - if it's for yourself I suggest building your own Cabinet and using MAME to play the games. Let me know if you need more info on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Butros

Alright, theres a game for the ps2 called "Midway Arcade treasures", its about €20. It has paperboy, super sprint, joust, spyhunter, marble madness and loads more. Well worth a look!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Probably not the same as playing a classic like Bubble Bobble on an Arcade Console. You'd have to cover your floor with chewing gum, cigarette butts (before the smoking ban!) and crisp bags first though.
    Then ask your mother to sit behind some glass at a desk with a frown on her face, throwing the change back at you while she's thinking "why aren't you at school then?".
    Ah, the good old days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Thanks for the replies folks!

Never thought of Buy and Sell but it's worth a look.

okidoki987, you are dead right. I've messed around with mame and have a PS2 as well but it's just not the same.

Call it me being foolishly sentimental but you just can't beat the real thing. Nothing beats the feeling of playing OutRun on a proper cabinet, that bassy tune belting out and the smell...

Come to think of it, what was that smell? I have recollections of it being a cross of charred-wood, cigarette butts, teenage-sweat and general mustiness. If only I could bottle that smell.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I agree - that's why I reckon MAME and a cabinet are the way to go. I bought a NEO-GEO Aracde machine off Buy and Sell and removed the boards, and put in a PC. I then used an ArcadeVGA card (from Ultimarc) to connect the PC to the arcade monitor and I also installed a SlikStik arcade controller. The end result is a complete arade machine that has all the games MAME Supports (over 5000).

If you want a good idea of what's involved check out Build your Own Aracde Controls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Or build it from scratch, like I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

paulocon wrote:
    Hi,

Anyone know where to get hold of original arcade cabinets.
    Something like Outrun, Chase HQ, Bubble Bobble, BombJack etc.

I know they can be sourced from the UK but shipping etc. can be fairly outrageous.

Regards,
    Paul

I had that same idea two years ago, so I ended up getting one of these and buying the jamma boards (Games) I wanted on eBay ;) ....

supergun.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Billy Pilgrim

Jeez, have none of you people heard of abandonware? Try www.the-underdogs.org or www.abandonwarering.com for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Hmmmm, abandonware is not the same as old arcade games and MAME. In fact it's nothing like it. I have used the Underdogs for about 6 years now, so its always worth putting the link up there, but MAME is different, its original arcade roms as opposed to old PC games. Mame is pretty damn fantastic. I have a full MAME set up to Mame .67 including on about 3 DVD's. I'd highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

sometimes ebay has stuff, saw a NARC machine on there not long ago
    only problem would be shipping !

Advertisement