Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta will be a pay channel

Options
  • 03-11-2004 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine was at a Market Research thing for Setanta last night and found out that Setanta will be a pay channel soon. It will also be on during week nights as well but the only extra footie is a UEFA cup slot on a Thursday night. Suppose it was too good to be true :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Does this mean we're going to get Nick back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what do you mean get it back

Nick just moved to a different frequency, it has always been there

doesnt surprise me about Setanta going pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Mossy Monk wrote:
    what do you mean get it back

Nick just moved to a different frequency, it has always been there

doesnt surprise me about Setanta going pay

Is the Setanta on Sky Digital the same as the one which seems to be currently offered free on NTL? Cos it (and Setanta 2) are forever encrypted on Sky, and I reckoned it was a niche channel or a pay-per-view thing.

on Sky there is also the 2 Setanta PPV channels

on channel 429 is the Setanta thats on NTL as part of the basic package but its subscription on Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If its going subscription then they can boot it off the analogue!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Mossy Monk wrote:
    on Sky there is also the 2 Setanta PPV channels

on channel 429 is the Setanta thats on NTL as part of the basic package but its subscription on Sky

Weird. A bit like how you need a subscription with Sky to view otherwise 'free' Irish channels. Or ITV2 currently needing a subscription in the UK.

If it's on a subscription package on Sky ROI, you can be sure it won't be free forever on NTL. (Does it still carry Newstalk when it's not broadcasting?)

seemingly it does in Dublin and Galway

Waterford gets Classic FM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Well if it were to become a subscription channel on ntl, it would have to leave the analogue service.

There isn't really a way to distribute it to paying customers only except with a decoder box (or similar), like ntl used to have with the premium channels (Sky Sports/Movies etc.) before the got rid of them, but that will never happen.

I can't see how Setanta Sports Ireland would survive if it left the very large ntl analogue network (over 340,000 customers afaik) & went subscription. After all very few people would pay Setantas very expensive rates (€13 per month IIRC), (For one, I like that channel but there is no way I would pay that much for it), therefore they wouldn't be able to attract much advertising income. With the amount of money they have reported to shell out on sports rights (SPL for instance), would the maths add up?

To me it would seem like certian suicide for the channel. :confused:

indeed, and for a channel that only runs on the weekend they can forget it but i do believe they have plans to increase this in the future

i would nearly bet on everything being constant repeats like the weekends are atm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The best bit is its claiming to be Ireland's 4th TV channel.

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:
    indeed, and for a channel that only runs on the weekend they can forget it but i do believe they have plans to increase this in the future

Supposed to happen in January.
    irishgeo wrote:
    The best bit is its claiming to be Ireland's 4th TV channel.

/me thinks you mean 5th :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Around the time Setanta announced it was showing Premiership matches this year, the Chief Executive was quoted in most papers as saying that yes Setanta is free on NTL at the moment, but once we find our feet it'll become a subscription channel, so it should come as no surprise really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

They're gonna charge for it along with Celtic TV and some North American Sports Channel as pack of a package, along the lines of paying extra to have Sky Sports.

this could be interesting as i am interested in getting NASN, Celtic TV not too bothered about but sometimes you gotta take the ****e with the gold

This would seem the right moment to say-

Bring Back Eurosport!

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

From that, am I to assume NTL analogue does not carry Eurosport? Chorus carries it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,077 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Mossy Monk wrote:
    this could be interesting as i am interested in getting NASN, Celtic TV not too bothered about but sometimes you gotta take the ****e with the gold

I know exactly what you mean! I currently get NASN with my Celtic TV subs and NASN is ****e :D

lol, very good :D
    rep for you

byte wrote:
    From that, am I to assume NTL analogue does not carry Eurosport? Chorus carries it.

Yep, its not on digital either!

Do you get generic Eurosport or British version?

Mike.

byte wrote:

nope, either Eurosport or NTL got too greedy

• Advertisement

Yes, there's a website devoted to it's return on ntl - http://www.bringbackeurosport.com/

There was an artice in The Sunday Times a while ago stating it's return was looking hopeful, but I've not heard anything since. I can't see it ever making a return to the analogue package, but maybe the digital line-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I know exactly what you mean! I currently get NASN with my Celtic TV subs and NASN is ****e :D

Yeah sure the one horse race that is the SPL is spell binding stuff. :rolleyes:

Advertisement