Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4-Carriage DARTs at rush hour - why?

Options
  • 03-11-2004 2:06pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed that, often enough, the 8.27 DART at Connolly (normally arriving a few minutes after that natch.) has only four carriages. When the doors open, people practically fall outwards because it's so cramped. You have to squeeze yourself into a baking sauna in these situations, assuming you're able to get on. It may be okay after Pearse, but that's hardly the point - why are CIE running a 4-carriage DART, and not a 6-carriage DART, at this clearly peak commuter time? I thought we had a new set of carriages (their ads claim we do). More pointedly, what's the point of extending from a 6- to 8-maximum carriage capacity if we're not even doing 6-carriage DARTs when required?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The just want to see the look on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The new units are not in service yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Quite simply there isnt enough carriages to run all services at a 6 car length, therefore a small majority of services are 4 car - usually composed of the 8510 Class units.

Two 4-car sets of the new 8520 series have entered service, with the rest undergoing day and night testing. Of the two that are in service one is coupled with a 2 car 8100 class to make a six car set, the 2nd workes on its own.

There will not be any immediate increase in capacity on the DART because as these 8520's enter service, IE are sending the 8100 class units (original DART's) abroad for a mid-life overhaul and refurbishment. The first 2 units have already been dispatched.

On completion of the DART upgrade and when all 8520's are in service thats when we see a lot of services running as 8-car trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I thought the 8100's had all completed their refurbishment locally over the past 2-3 years?

What about the 2-car Spanish units that you see coupled up with the newer Japanese 4-car sets. How will they be utilised?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

No the 8100's are being sent away for a serious mid-life overhaul. Electrial overhaul, major interior upgrade - however they are keeping the current design of seats you all be pleased to know as everybody hates the seats on the 8500 & 8510 Class of units (they were built for midgets!)

With regard to the 8200 class there is only five 2-car sets so I reckon they will make a 4 * 2 cars to make a 8 car set out of it with one 2-car unit spare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement