Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surely this should be Kilkenny Medieval City???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

What are you talking about? Isn't Kilkenny just a town anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

FX Meister wrote:
    What are you talking about? Isn't Kilkenny just a town anyway?

it is a "medieval city" the englise made it so back then...
    there are only 5 irish cities...

and yes, Waterford is a city!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

mullanimal wrote:
    it is a "medieval city" the englise made it so back then...
    there are only 5 irish cities...

and yes, Waterford is a city!

Surely you should be banned, but you're not. Yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_in_Ireland

Cloud wrote:

why?

• Advertisement

Cloud wrote:

check with the irish government... think Wikipedia needs correction on this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

mullanimal wrote:
    check with the irish government... think Wikipedia needs correction on this one...

I'd prefer if you posted a URL :) Show me your proof, I've shown you mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cloud wrote:
    I'd prefer if you posted a URL :) Show me your proof, I've shown you mine.

Proof? You have a short memory. ;)

I'm afraid wikipedia is wrong on this one. Still I don't like people peeing on other people's beliefs for no good reason. I'm sure in Kilkenny, as in Waterford, people grow up referring to the place as the city as a matter of course, and then at some stage, in the case of Kilkenny, to have outsiders start telling you you're deluded must not be very nice.

Unfortunately though, the state does not consider it a city, even though it is the only town which it is valid to call a city. "Kilkenny City" is a valid and legal term according to the local government act 2001. Where I have an issue is that if Kilkenny and Sligo become widely known as cities, then cities like Waterford will have a harder time saying things like, "we need a motorway, every city needs one." The government will simply say, "we can't build motorways to everywhere!"

It's easier to argue that cities need X, Y, Z, when there are only 5 cities. We in the south east are shagged enough without fighting amongst ourselves. The south east is now poorer than the west - can you believe it! It is easy for me to say, but when it comes to universities and airports and regional hospitals, we have to all be gunning for them in Waterford or else we don't get anything at all. Still if we got a university in Waterford, the IT should be moved to Kilkenny - hows that for a compromise. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:
    Proof? You have a short memory. ;)

I'm afraid wikipedia is wrong on this one. Still I don't like people peeing on other people's beliefs for no good reason. I'm sure in Kilkenny, as in Waterford, people grow up referring to the place as the city as a matter of course, and then at some stage, in the case of Kilkenny, to have outsiders start telling you you're deluded must not be very nice.

May not be a city in the eyes of the state, but even those black cast iron signs on the way to entering Kilkenny *City* say "Kilkenny Medieval City"
    which is twined with some other town in Germany or something (not really sure)
    Alot of tourists stuff says the same as well,

I don't care awhole lot as I'm from Kilkenny Country and the council in Kilkenny could never see much need to spend money outside there lovely *city* or infact write anything nice about anywhere else in the county, so I'm not a big fan of the *city* itself
    Personally I think all of these forums should be renamed so as not to affend people from the countys,
    ie:
    Kilkenny
    Dublin
    Waterford

... well you get the idea, unless of course we're going to have Kilkenny County, Waterford County etc as well as Citys?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Kilkenny's only a big town. We just call it a city for tourists but all locals always say " I'm going into town," or more likely will say "Well,,, I'm goin into town.
    The only reason it got its City title is because it had a catheral, two catherals actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

TIPPTOP wrote:
    Kilkenny's only a big town. We just call it a city for tourists but all locals always say " I'm going into town," or more likely will say "Well,,, I'm goin into town.
    The only reason it got its City title is because it had a catheral, two catherals actually

It's the same everywhere. In Waterford, Dublin and I'm sure all the other cities and towns, people just say they're going in to town.

Thurles has the cathedral as well remember. :) Kilkenny was a big deal in medieval times; that Ormonde was a rich bloke and owned plenty of land and ran the place well. You never know, maybe Kilkenny will do a Galway and start growing by 15% in population every 5 years. At the beginning of the 20th century Galway was just a small market town, now it's the 4th largest city.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:
    It's the same everywhere. In Waterford, Dublin and I'm sure all the other cities and towns, people just say they're going in to town.

Dam now we'll have to downgrade Dublin to a town :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

merlante wrote:

Thurles has the cathedral as well remember. :) Kilkenny was a big deal in medieval times; that Ormonde was a rich bloke and owned plenty of land and ran the place well. You never know, maybe Kilkenny will do a Galway and start growing by 15% in population every 5 years. At the beginning of the 20th century Galway was just a small market town, now it's the 4th largest city.

Don't confuse me the facts :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Cabaal wrote:
    May not be a city in the eyes of the state, but even those black cast iron signs on the way to entering Kilkenny *City* say "Kilkenny Medieval City"
    which is twined with some other town in Germany or something (not really sure)
    Alot of tourists stuff says the same as well,

I don't care awhole lot as I'm from Kilkenny Country and the council in Kilkenny could never see much need to spend money outside there lovely *city* or infact write anything nice about anywhere else in the county, so I'm not a big fan of the *city* itself
    Personally I think all of these forums should be renamed so as not to affend people from the countys,
    ie:
    Kilkenny
    Dublin
    Waterford

... well you get the idea, unless of course we're going to have Kilkenny County, Waterford County etc as well as Citys?

:D

moret sur loing (French City) twinned with Kilkenny City :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Come on now, who's ever heard of a capital town? Can you unbecome a city just because you're not a capital any more? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Sure isn't the eircom league football team called "Kilkenny City FC" ? :)

It's defo a city. However how many bodies live in it?

In carlow town, there are approaching 45/50 thousand people. It's growing very fast tooo. ... maybe it'll overtake kilkenny ..

Shame about the smell this time of year in carla like ... boody sugar factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭Brian017

And it has a city charter

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

i am open to correction on this but as if i remember my national school history class correctly then kilkenny has held official city status for centuries - afaik it was deemed a city because of a connection between the butlers ( of the castle ) and the royal family in england ( at the time that ireland was under british rule ) - also i think the last poster may have been correct when he mentioned the charter because there is something official that gives it city status ( i used to think it was the presence of a mayor - though i think now that this is incorrect ) - there was also a failed government plan a couple of years ago to downgrade kilkenny's city status - maybe that's why some posters think that it's only a recent thing or something for tourists - but i grew up in an adjoining county and as far back as i can remember i was told that kilkenny was a city. - though of course by population standards this wouldn't seem to compute !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭Brian017

"In law a borough, Kilkenny's claim to be a city is based on a charter of 1609, which granted that status. However, Kilkenny's urban history is much older. The charter of 1609 was the culmination of four hundred years of other grants and privileges by which the townspeople gradually established their right to the rank of city. The record of that achievement is the series of charters and grants, which are still preserved in city hall.

From
    http://www.kilkennycity.ie/default.aspx?cat=about_us&id=2

Advertisement