Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US election coverage - give your report!

Options
  • 03-11-2004 2:15am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK people, one of the biggest political instances of the year (and perhaps decade) is well underway, so where are you getting all your information from?

I'm personally sticking to BBC 1/News 24 and their brilliant map on the site (which is linked in my sig for anyone interested). I plan on switching to and from RTE, and dipping into other stations like UTV, Sky News and whoever else is giving the election time on the night. I will also keep dropping into boards.ie's politics forum and a few US channels websites such as NBC, CNN, ABC and Fox news. I'm going on a press overdose here!

So, tell us where you're getting your updates from, and tell us what you think of the coverage at the moment. And when all is done and gone we can all give our reports on what it was like in general.

Please keep all election posts to this thread (unless its something major that deserves a seperate thread) and please remember that this is about coverage, not policy!

flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Hi Flogen. Just another sad news-junkie, I guess. Just like me.
    I'm listening to BBC Radio Five, and switching from Sky to Beeb,etc, but expect to settle down with the BBC, as the ad-breaks elsewhere do me in.
    Other good souces are slate.com, informationclearinghouse.org, wonkette.com and dailykos.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

the bbc online map thingy, updates pretty quick, finding it pretty good
    cant use tv cos its far away (ok, its upstairs)
    cant use radio cos reception is crap and sleeping housemates etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Hi Flogen. Just another sad news-junkie, I guess. Just like me.
    I'm listening to BBC Radio Five, and switching from Sky to Beeb,etc, but expect to settle down with the BBC, as the ad-breaks elsewhere do me in.
    Other good souces are slate.com, informationclearinghouse.org, wonkette.com and dailykos.com

Couldn't agree more about the ad's, certainly a great advantage for the beeb!

As for the website... it is a great little tool, but I wish it updated itself rather than having to click on it all the time.. ah well!

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

klong wrote:
    the bbc online map thingy, updates pretty quick, finding it pretty good
    cant use tv cos its far away (ok, its upstairs)
    cant use radio cos reception is crap and sleeping housemates etc...
    Morning Klong
    You should be able to listen to BBC Radio on the net, even on dial-up.
    You should check out the politics board.Much more going on.

jobs a guddin' wheels of ire, working grand now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the party hacks they have on BBC are annoying me.. the ones that just say "Bush/Kerry is going to win easily"... What difference does it make if you admit its going to be close? It wont cost the party any votes!

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

BBC - long drawn out intellectual waffle.
    Sky News - big flashy signs and short words.
    Boards.ie - spam spam spam spam spam

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    BBC - long drawn out intellectual waffle.
    Sky News - big flashy signs and short words.
    Boards.ie - spam spam spam spam spam

BBC R4 i am liking
    Sky News im not surprised if thats what its like
    Boards.ie i totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SkyNews on tv is nice. Half watching it. Played CS there. Gonna play Dice City now.

SN is nice, as it has Bush in red, and Kerry in blue, on the bottom of the screen.

just back from a quick trip to the telly...

RTE is using dan rather on CBS- that stuff is good, rte not great
    Sky- lots of gimmicks, not much substance
    BBC- more talk, less action
    Euronews- waffling on about other stuff while having the guesstimates up

and R4 has gone to some educational thingy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SkyNews; 2 old guys with some good-looking chick in the middle... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ah...

I was watching CNBC and their relay of Tom Brokaw and Tim Russert from NBC in New York. Very good, but if let down by their "Democracy Plaza" Pulleezzze! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

RTÉ last night - they kept messing up the graphics and some of the guests didn't have all that much to add but overall, I like getting an irish pov and it was good to see CNN footage too.

Sky News - didn't watch this for long but their stage sets where a presenter stands behind a floor space on which a graphic is displayed look ridiculous. The bright red and blue is also painful on the eyes! (Guess who's not a regular Sky News viewer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Myself and friends got together for election night, we had two tv's, a big map, a net connection, miller, hot dogs, pretzels...loads of american food.

We watched solidly from around 9pm until 7.30am this morning.

You can see our election coverage here:
    http://tcal.net/index.php?s=US+Election+Update&submit=Go
    (warning, contains adult language) ;)

Anyway, in all seriousness. Once RTE switched to CNN completely it shone through, it just seemed to me to have the least rhetoric and the most serious statistics etc.

BBC was ok at times, but John Snow walking around that pointlessly complicated 3d studio with the states flying in...christ...

The best for us though was a combination of the CNN state by state guide on their website and flicking between the tv channels constantly.

The problem was all the channels allowed commentators to re-hash policy - no ones interested in policy and tired flip-flopping statements, it was much more fun to hear them discussing possible outcomes etc.

Advertisement