Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Dublin changed?

Options
  • 31-10-2004 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Mayby you guys can help me.

I'm researching a documentary on 'Dubliners' and how they have changed. Do you think dubliners still share a common identity or have we become a segmented city?

I'm looking for opinions but I'll also be looking for people to interview at some stage in the future.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

snaggs, I think my response would be largely determined by how far you want to go back. I have lived most of my 31 years here and in that time it has changed but I would also know that before the move to the suburbs, Dublin was a completely different place.

IMHO, I believe this city has always been segmented, usually along class lines, but more recently between "races" as well. Many people believe that there is a class divide between north and south sides but I have thought for a while that the real divide is between working class council estates hidden largely in between peripheral industrial complexes, like Swan Grove in Rathmines or North Strand complexes near Ballybough. These have largely been overtaken by vast low density estates in the 1970s where we are still trying to deal with the associated social problems of hidden poverty. Any good stuff there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If you want more answers you would be better of asking this in the After Hours forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭eoin_f

this is a topic for serious discussion which i would like to get into in more depth if you like. am dublin based and have always been. in brief dublin is a segmented society in itself, north south, class states, perceptions etc

unfortunately my fingers dont work fast enough to keep up!

there is a percieved division between north and south but i believe there is more segmented divisions -

southside ballyfermot/terenure
    southside dub 6 area cypress downs/domville both neighbours but instilled differences between both.
    too many subtle differences and gaps are widening in my opinion.

give me a shout if you like

E.

Advertisement